cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How do I find more information on using trekking poles?

I would like to start walking with poles but am unsure which kind to buy.

I am a 5'2" female with no experience regarding poles.

I realize that I would need special tips for paved trails but that's all I can figure out.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hello @Milikeleka. Trekking poles are a must have piece of gear! 

Here is a great article to get you started on How to choose trekking poles. There even is a short video for you to watch too! 

If you are still unsure what you should go with you have 2 options:

-Visit a local REI store, where an employee will be happy to help you pick the right one for you.

-You can book an appointment with Virtual Outfitting

I hope you find the right Trekking pole for yourself and you  are able to put it to quick and great use! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I would recommend looking around and finding a discarded broom, rake, shovel, mop, etc, handle and using that. make your first rips around the neighborhood to see how things work.  You can spend significant money later when you hav a bit more experience. The article referenced above will be  a great help.

If you wish, drill a hole near the top of your shovel handle and tie a loop of cord.  This will quite useful in many ways.  This is how I got started many years ago, and I eventually worked up to more elaborate rigs.Recently I have really been using my poles as I recover from hip replacement surgery.  

Trekking poles are quite useful, but it works out quite well to start cheap.  Although wooden poles weight more than the current graphite/aluminum wonder sticks, you are swinging the weight, not carrying it, so the difference is inconsequential

0 Likes

@Milikeleka as a recent adopter of using trekking poles for day hikes and backpacking, and a woman of similar height, here are a few specific styles you might consider:

And if you're going to use them on pavement a lot, here are REI tipsBlack Diamond tips and fitness tips you might consider using! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes