cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hiking with a child with a physical disability

I have an 11 year old about 50 lbs with spina bifida. He is able to get around using arm crutches and plays sports in his wheel chair. I have used a couple of packs to carry him but he has outgrown. Does anyone know of packs with higher weight limits that would allow me to carry him over the rough parts of trails/terrain but not be impossible to get him out of to explore. We have our eyes on a couple of National Parks and I want to have a solid plan beyond carrying him in my arms or my shoulders. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hello @Webbsmith21. I applaud you and every other parent that understands the power and positive effects of the outdoors on their children.  After some research, while it doesn't appear that REI carries a product that would meet your needs, I did come across one option made by a company called Freeloader.  It is made to carry children up to 80 lbs and has received some great reviews from other parents that utilized it in the same manner you are seeking too.  Hopefully this will give you a starting point.  Thank you for proving that the outdoors truly is for all.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.