cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Hiking The Camino in Spain

Has anyone local, hiked The Camino in Spain. I am planning a trip Sept 2020. I am starting in Sarria Can only be away from work 2 weeks. I am going Solo.  Any advice would be great

0 Likes
8 Replies

Hi!  I have not hiked the Camino, but I am planning a hike in June from St. Jean Pied de Port. (35 days, teacher 🙂  I belong to a wonderful hiking group and know two friends who have done the Camino, so I will pass their advice to me on to you.  Get the book: A Pilgrims Guide to the Camino de Santiago (Brierley) I ordered the book and it is really impressive.  Just the way it is laid out......the maps...advice...etc. 

Start walking and get in the best shape you can. Read up on "one bag" travel and ultralight hiking (don't over pack). Learn about layering clothing as that will be the bulk of your load. Search on weather history data for region/time you will be traveling so you know what to expect.. Learn as much Spanish as you can and read up on local history culture so you can appreciate what you see.

You will be getting a microscopic view of the region. It is so much different than motorized travel. 

Hey,  @Sunflower1021,  I just came upon your post, and was wondering if you were able to make your trip? I have been planning this trip for a few years and had settled on September 2021. With all that is going on I am still hopeful to make my trip. 

BPro4229

0 Likes

Hi @Sunflower1021! Just finding your post now. I am assuming you didn't get your trip done due to COVID. I did 2 weeks of the Camino in 2018. I suggest you find a local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino. They can give you lots of great information.  

0 Likes

My husband and I have walked the Camino Portuguese and the Camino Ingles. Sign up for the Camino de Santiago Forum, so much information from people who have walked, or have questions. We are 79 and 82, planned on another Camino, but Covid has temporarily stopped our plan. Travel light, travel light. Be open minded to all the most wonderful experiences. Learn some basic Spanish. Warning: once you walk, it is in your system and will change your live forever. Hopefully we can walk again early 2022. 

I'm not sure what local means here (I just logged on to the group), but I live in Overland Park, KS and have walked the Camino Frances from Saint-Jean-Pied-de_Port to Santiago. There is also a local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino here in the KC metro. Are you from the KC metro?

@Lemmon @maryday I have been planning to walk the Camino Frances (solo) for the first time for several years, but have had to postpone each time (knee surgery, Covid), so tentatively planning for October & November of this year 2021.  I'm planning to take 40 days to walk from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostella, then on to Muxia and Finisterre.  I am retired so time is not really an issue.  Really hope I don't have to postpone again into 2022. 

Anyone else with a similar plan?

0 Likes

I have hopes (very slim hopes) for Sept/Oct 2021. I walked Sept/Oct 2019 & cancelled two caminos in 2020. 40 days may seem like a lot of days, but depending on how many rest/vacation days it's not extreme for us retired folks. I had 41 days in 2019 and am taking longer on my next one! Actually, for my next one, I'm considering Madrid to Sahagun to Santiago..bus to Porto and walk the Portuguese to Santiago and on to Finisterre. With travel, that will be 60 days for me.

0 Likes