cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hiking socks for women with large calves

I'm wondering what hiking socks you would recommend for women who have larger ankles or calves. Almost every pair of crew-height wool or wool blend hiking socks I own (smartwool, darn tough, and some other brands that REI doesn't carry) cut into my calves at the top, some bad enough to cut my circulation off if I'm wearing them for a long time. In summer I solve the problem by wearing shorter socks, but that won't really work for winter hiking. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Reply

@Alicehelen 

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out and joining the community! As a guy with large ankles and calves I can completely relate to this question. I, too, have found the some brands of socks will actually make my feet colder because they constrict around my calves and inhibit blood flow to my feet. The socks that I use almost exclusively now are the REI Co-op Merino Wool Lightweight Hiking socks and the REI Co-op Norseland Merino Wool Crew socks (if I need a little bit more warmth). It feels like the band at the top of these socks is a bit broader and therefore not nearly as constricting as some other brands I have tried. It looks like the Norseland socks are on clearance and sizes are limited, however, you could also look at the REI Co-op Merino Wool Expedition Hiking socks if you were looking for something a bit heavier duty and warmer.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.