cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hiking Pants for PNW Cold Wet Weather

What are the best men's hiking pants for the cold and wet weather we get in the Pacific Northwest? I'm not talking about rain pants. Looking for pants that can shed light rain and not get soaked walking through wet foliage along the trail. Thank you.

0 Likes
3 Replies

@morton17 thanks for reaching out with this question! Since it sounds like you're not interested in rain pants, your next most water-resistant category will be softshell pants - these will shed water well, as they are treated with a DWR, without being truly waterproof. They also have some stretch to them, which is great for walking and hiking amongst wet foliage! A few options you might consider:

We hope this helps - let us know if you have any additional questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Helpful for me.

Thanks

Hi @morton17 .

I'm in the mid-Atlantic region, and it gets pretty wet and cold around here, but maybe not quite as harsh as the PNW.  I'm a big fan of the Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants,  Water resistant, fast dry, and flexible.  They are, however, fairly thin, so if it's cold, baselayers underneath would be in order.

Good luck!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.