cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Glove Recommendation: hikes with steel cables for aid in climbing sections of trail.

Hello,

New here and looking for some advice/help on hiking gloves. We typically just do hiking and gloves aren’t needed. However, for a few hikes we are looking to do their are steel cables to help hikers pull themselves up and over rocks. Example is the Picacho Trail or Flatiron Trail.  We have no idea what type of gloves to even start looking at.  It’s AZ so we need something that breathes but will give protection we need. Any help would be tremendous!

Thanks,

Bryan

Geese81

0 Likes
7 Replies

I am familiar with the trail at Picacho Peak, although my info may be dated.  I never needed gloves.  I. am sure many people never grab the cables at all.  The trail is wide and comfortable.  The backside, the side not facing the interstate, is significantly more gentle.

I would recommend any light work glove, synthetic fabric with light leather patches, such as you can find at any big box hardware store (or even little box stores).  Stout leather gloves would work well and would be useful around cactus.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

yeah, I agree, I've spent many hours on various via ferratas, (iron ways), without gloves, so I wouldn't think that's an issue.  Unless you've heard the cable has shards and will cut your hand and you need to hold the cable to save your life in a slip.

But for backpacking, short stretches, naw.

Now for some pix, I took my wife up the Alpspitze via ferrata in Garmisch Ge in the early 90's, pre digital cameras. She started to freak near the top, but made it, no divorce, and a victory life moment for her.  I think I did over 30 laps on that over time.  of course you can google images or vids of this short route.

60091280d9e2418854f13e7085104824be0d606e.jpgdiana15.jpgdiana16.jpgdiana17.JPGdiana19.jpgdiana20.jpgdianaalpspitz4.jpgdiana8.jpg

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Awesome pics @Philreedshikes !  Your wife must be a very special woman to put up with you and your hijinks!  😁

While I have not done any via ferratas, just from a pragmatic aspect, I always keep a pair of gloves in my pack, even for my day hikes. One never knows what I might get into. Except for the cold winter months, I'm partial to fingerless gloves, and would think that belaying or climbing gloves would be ideal to have, if only for peace of mind.

Something like this perhaps: https://www.rei.com/product/129967/metolius-half-finger-climbing-gloves 

Good luck!

no kidding....I noticed in the photos, she's wearing my gloves, lol!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Thank you for the info.

bryan 

0 Likes

Thank you and great pics!

Bryan

The trail up Picacho is not even close to a via ferrata; nor for that matter is the cableway up Half Dome (Yosemite)

0 Likes