cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Getting Outside: Hiking During Quarantine

I’m in North Carolina and we are under a “stay at home” order. Getting outside for fitness is considered “essential.” 

Thinking about taking my kids hiking (4 and 6). 

Anyone else getting out and hiking or are you staying indoors?

11 Replies

Bike path/walking trails in our area usually less crowded in early morning.  Got tired of the same route, so yesterday went to a big park with lots of soccer fields.  We were able to stay away from others by crisscrossing on the fields.  Saw ducks, birds and even found a little nest in the grass with two speckled eggs inside.  More interesting and easier to keep our distance than walking on the sidewalk!

Hi @smithandrew209.

As a very avid hiker, this is an important topic for me.

I live in north Georgia (Cumming) and as a recent retiree, had planned to:

1. Do at least 2 day hikes per week in the north Georgia mountains

2. Continue my section hiking of the Appalachian Trail (AT) at a more accelerated pace.

Even though they (US Forest Service and Park Service) have basically closed the AT, I still go to any trail that is not closed.  

So, yes - I am getting out daily for a local morning walk, and when I can find an open trail - hike it as well.

PoppaHiker
0 Likes