cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Gear Advice: Which crampons are compatible with my boots?

What crampons will work with womens Oboz Bridger boots? Only a small amount of the hike is on glaciers, but need crampons for that portion. 

0 Likes
3 Replies

@islandpainter  Thanks for reaching out!

The kind of crampon that will work for your boots are called 'strap-on crampons'. They are designed to fit most kinds of boots, with the ability to fit to the boot without a heel or toe welt. You can take a look at our selection of strap-on crampons here. We'd recommend a style like the C.A.M.P. USA Stalker Universal Crampons, as they are a lightweight, versatile option designed to fit on most boots. In fact, the second review speaks to how well they fit on a pair of Oboz boots!

Where is the hike you are going on?

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you so much. This particular hike is crossing Baranof Island outside of Sitka. Much of the hike is rock and alpine meadow, but there is some fairly serious but short glacier crossing involved, with ropes and ice axes. And especially these days where things are melting so rapidly, it is more dangerous. These are for my daughter who is fairly cautious, used to doing pretty serious hikes around here, and is going with people who do this incredibly beautiful route frequently. I'll warn her about ankles! Thanks again. Pat

Let me recommend another option.

If you hiking, in the summer, and can go unroped across a glacier, because there's no snow and you can see the ice, I'm about 90% certain you will not need any traction device, let alone crampons, which you take primarily for bare slick ice or ice climbing.

Normally the exposed ice is covered with a very thin coating of dirt and micro gravel; boots give you very good "purchase", trail runners, not as much.

In any event, consider traction devices vice crampons, which are lighter, stow better, and give fantastic purchase/grip on slick surfaces.  They work great on trail runners as well. And you can use them all winter, when expecting packed, slick snow trails, or icy trails.

https://www.rei.com/search?q=traction+devices&pagesize=90

I've been using the Kahtoola brand from REI for years and am amazed how well they grip in icy surfaces.

I also want to add, If you are carrying a backpacking pack, and need to wear real crampons, and are not wearing boots specific to that type of mountaineering, be careful that you don't break an ankle.  Crampons are serious business.

Now for some glacier crossing photos 😎

Monta Rosa (dufourspitz) across the gorner glacier, on trail from gornergratMonta Rosa (dufourspitz) across the gorner glacier, on trail from gornergratOn the Gorner GlacierOn the Gorner GlacierGlacier view from Matterhorn SummitGlacier view from Matterhorn Summit

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes