cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Flash 55 backpack sternum strap attachment

I recently purchased the Flash 55 and took it out on a test hike.  I loaded the pack with approximately 15 lbs just to test fit for comfort over a 6 mile hike. After fitting the pack according to the video provided by REI, I set out on the hike.  About a mile into the hike I noticed the sternum strap was hanging loose,  no longer attached to the shoulder strap on the left side.  The plastic clip, which slides along a plastic 'rail' for adjustability, came disconnected from the rail.  Attached are some pictures of the unattached clip as well as one from the right side clip which is attached.  I tried to press fit the clip back on the rail but was unsuccessful after a few tries.  I didn't want to try anything more forceful (such as using a pair of pliers) for fear of breaking the clip.  Any suggestions before I resort to a return?  Thanks in advance!!Left side clip - detachedLeft side clip - detachedProfile viewProfile viewRight side clip - attachedRight side clip - attached 

0 Likes
2 Replies

@pjcamper 

Thank you for reaching out, although we're sorry to hear that it is because you're having this issue with your backpack.

The best way to get the sternum strap re-attached to your pack is to actually slide it back on to the plastic 'rail' on the shoulder strap from either the bottom or the top (sometimes there is a spot on one end that is easier than the other to get the 'rail' fed into the sternum strap piece). Sometimes it helps to have a pair of needle nose pliers (or a multitool) handy to help keep the 'rail' taught in order to pull it through the plastic clip. If that doesn't work for you, we recommend taking in to your local REI store to speak with a sales associate in the pack department, they may be able to re-attach it for you.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks!  I'll give it a shot.  I'm a few hours from the closest store but was going to shop another when visiting family for the holiday.  If I can't reattach it, I'll take the pack along then.