cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Feedback on the Hoka Speedgoat 4 GTX?

I have been in KEENs for 5 years now, 3 years in voyager's and now on my 2nd pair of targhee. I am always looking for something more comfortable, although I have never been disappointed with Keen. I gave a try to the ALTA's last year, did several Hikes and I did not like them so I went back to the Targhee. What is your thoughts on the Hoka speedgoat 4 gore tex ? I love the wide toe box in the Keen shoe so I hate to move away from this fine option. DO you have any feeling on these Hoka's ?

Thanks 

Ray R. Moore

0 Likes
2 Replies

@Volhike often with a question like this one, we give a bit of an unhelpful answer - these are great shoes, but only if they fit you well! And because it's hard to say, online, whether a specific shoe will work well for your specific feet, we always recommend heading into a store, or setting up a free virtual outfitting appointment when picking new shoes!

So, with that out of the way, we'll provide a few more thoughts:

• We have a few avid HOKA-wearing community members who will likely give you their encouragement on picking a pair of HOKAs (@Philreedshikes)
  • The Speedgoat is more of a trailing running shoe whereas some of the Keens we carry - including the Targhee - are more of a hiking shoe. This means that the feel and fit will be different, with the Speedgoat being a bit lighter and more flexible than the Targhee. You might enjoy this Expert Advice article on the debate between hiking boots/shoes and trail runners!
  • Keens are certainly known for their wider toebox; HOKAs also often run a bit wider in the toebox - in addition, the Speedgoat is available in a wide width

We hope this helps get you started!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Volhikeyes I have a feeling about Hokas...I have loved mine for the past 4yrs and can't envision going to another brand anytime soon!

They're everything I need for a backpacking/hiking shoe.

Wide toe box, SUPERIOR CUSHIONING, can't feel any the sharp rocks of the AT, fantastic support, a sole that angles out at the bottom creating extra stability

superior drying after creek crossings in the summer.

Not to disparage Altra users...I tried them, wanted to like them, especially after all the 'rave reviews', but to be honest, they really sucked for me, I could feel every rock on the trail. 

I honestly feel there is no comparison, If you're looking for lightweight comfort and dependability.

Plus if you don't like them, you can send them back, either to REI or HOKA directly for a full refund.  The HOKA web site carries additional models not on REI.

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes