cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Favorite hiking habit

What is your favorite type of hike? Do you like to go to a local park and use the marked trails? Do you like to explore on your own? Do you do day hikes or overnight treks?

0 Likes
7 Replies

My husband and I disagree on the need to stay on the trail. I hate to venture off and he has no fear! Day hikes or up to one overnight are my favorites. Any hike outdoors with a specific destination in mind with nice weather tops my list.

I like them all, personally, but I do prefer staying on-trail for a couple reasons:

1) off-trail bushwacking can damage the environment if done carelessly. Sure, there are times when it's warranted, or when there's a really incredible sight hidden away in the backcountry that can only be accessed by bushwacking, but in general I avoid it. 

2) my direction-finding ability is pretty terrible, and it's all too easy for me to get lost if I venture too far off-trail. 

My family and I do a lot of dayhikes, but if I am by myself I generally prefer overnighters or weekend excursions. 

I definitely agree on the environmental piece. I often hike in well used state/local parks and I figure it sets a better example to not go off trail. 

I'm directionally challenged, too! For me to be able to go off trail, I have to know the area really well. And I absolutely agree that you need to be environmentally responsible. Good point!

0 Likes

I like an occasional off-trail ramble. A topographical map and the ability to read and decipher it is a must. A 1:50,000 or larger (lower ratio) is best. Don't use anything smaller than a 1:100,000. Also don't follow in each other's footsteps as this tends to make a trail. Some kinds of surfaces are fragile and should be off limits. Obey local regulations. Don't rely on your sense of direction. Use a compass. I have successfully used a 'slope reading' technique to get through some trees on the way up a mountain. It goes like this: Once I knew where I am on the map and where I wanted to get to, I saw that I would be going steeply uphill to the right of a ridge line and with a drop off to my right. I'd be crossing the contour lines at a 45 with up-slope to my left. If I got too far left, the side slope would reverse direction and if I got too far right, it would get too steep. When I emerged above tree line where I could take a compass bearing, I was right on target. ( caution, not all types of terrain are amenable to this kind of navigation, i. e. relatively flat land lacking prominent topographical features ) A bonus on this hike; I passed within 3 feet of a Spruce Grouse, and the bird remained stock still.

0 Likes

Definitely day hikes at local parks and no off trail to avoid tics.  I mostly look for habitat edges to look for birds.     

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I live in VA and have 500 miles of the AT - in a almost continuous tree tunnel.  When I started hiking out west - NO tree tunnels, hiking ANYWHERE with continuous views became my favorite type of hike!  And the VA AT became, what I now refer to, my 'training' place.  We do have Dolly Sods wilderness (in W VA) and Grayson Highlands, for continuous views, but alas, 6-7hrs driving from my house.

My go to places?  Bridger Wilderness, Wy, anywhere in the Sierras, Utah, Grand Canyon.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes