Highlighted

Favorite hiking app?

Hi folks,

What are your favorite hiking apps? I’ve been pretty happy with Gaia for tracking my hikes and accessing trail maps (and it seems more accurate than Runkeeper, which I was using previously). But I recently saw someone’s hike on a Relive video and I did like the 3D flyover and photos. Unfortunately Gaia isn’t one of their partners. I’d love to hear what you’re using!

0 Likes
24 Replies
Highlighted

It all depends on where I'm hiking. The problem with most US apps is that they know nothing about the world outside North America. For hiking in Europe my go-to app has been ViewRanger. I like it so much that I bought their USGS maps as well as maps for many other countries. It's now the only GPS app I use for hiking.

...Wanderer
0 Likes
Highlighted

I use Gaia, mostly because I can map out hikes with waypoints on my Windows laptop, print the maps, and download the hike to my Iphone without any hassle. I'd be interested to know if the REI Hiking Project app can do that, if anyone knows. It's that crossover between Windows to Iphone that is important to me.

0 Likes
Highlighted

A really cool new hiking app called Trail Roulette just launched that has an awesome feature that maps out the trail from start to finish in augmented reality using your devices camera. Not only that, but you can win LEGIT prizes just by using the app. It is for hiking and mountain biking.  It’s only available for iPhone users right now, but there’s an android version coming soon as well. Really cool!!! 

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/trail-roulette/id1474855109

0 Likes
Highlighted

Big Vote for GaiaGPS. AllTrails is great for discovering hikes but theres always a lag when you start it up or open it on iOS. GaiaGPS is quick and has a ton of map overlays, including forecasts, snow cover, etc. that are handy. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Alltrails. 

0 Likes