cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Equipment Tips for Hiking

Hi, I just bought a pair of Black Diamond Trekking poles, however the Rupumpack I recently purchased (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0761G9MJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) doesn't really have a place to store them. I would really not like to have to purchase a new pack to use my poles with. Does anyone know any creative ways to attach poles to a more basic pack, or know any products that can be used to solve this problem?

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (4)
0 Likes
4 Replies

@Rosa_C .

REI has a wide assortment of accessory straps available, of all sizes and attachment types.  Clasps, Velcro, toggles, etc.  Here are just a few examples:

And here is something else I found that follows a similar design to what is on many packs.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7RKZZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It looks like there's a small attachment point at the lower end of your pack, probably designed for a tail light.  Using whichever reusable tie you select, use one on that and another higher up, perhaps at the strap that closes the rear stuff-pocket.  Or maybe around the shoulder and waist straps of the pack, depending upon the size and style of strap you select.

Get creative, and good luck!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Hi @Rosa_C 

A related caution. No matter what method of attachment you use think about safety. I've seen quite a few poles that are lashed to the back of a pack in a haphazard manner. For example the tips point upwards and/or at an angle so that they can do serious damage to others should the person turn around.

So...

1. Point the tips downward.
  2. Point the tips inward if possible.
  3. Cover the tips with rubber or plastic caps.
  4. Consider putting the collapsed poles inside a stuff sack and the stuff sack inside the pack.

Yes, this takes a bit more effort. But it could save bystanders from injury, possibly serious.

...Wanderer

Velcro strapping.....3/4".

I use it for everything.

0 Likes

I have been hiking and backpacking with trekking poles for years and can not recall ever strapping them to or otherwise attaching them to my pack unless I needed to use my hands for scrambling over rocks. Even on flat and easy sections of trails, I carry the poles, sometimes both in one had by the poles balance point, so they will always be ready when I encounter mud, rocks, hills, stream crossings, etc. Otherwise, I think all the suggestions above will suffice. If there is no real attachment point on your pack for straps, consider sewing in some small nylon loops for attachment points.

aka "Boonerelli"