cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Daypack/Capacity Recommendation for Summer Day Hike Up Mt. Whitney

I'm hiking Mt. Whitney this summer and, while I am currently completing all of my full-day hikes with a 12L pack, I am looking to upgrade to a slightly larger capacity for extra layers and extra water. Does anyone have any packs that they love and would recommend?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
3 Replies

You might try Chicken Tramper 25 litter pack.  I love their quality and they are made in the USA 🙂 

https://chickentrampergear.com/collections/ultralight-backpacks/products/ctug-35-liter-ultralight-ba...

They are second to none in customer service.  Drop them a call if you want mod's to the pack as they love that. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Really almost any pack that is comfortable and of sufficient capacity for your gear will be fine.  My current fav is a Rei Traverse 35 L which would be quite suitable.  It is better that your pack is too big rather than too small.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hello Megan,

I'm working towards reaching the summit in a couple of years.  I've purchased an Osprey Manta 32L with the 2.7 liter water bladder.  Should be about the lightest I'll need, for my needs (emergency supplies, and foul weather gear, etc.).  The pack fits great, and has good ventilation. I plan on reaching the summit in fall when there are fewer hikers on the trail, and better odds of getting my permit.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes