cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are currently experiencing issues with logging in and staying logged in, most often with Chrome, We're sorry and are working hard on resolution.
Highlighted

CoVid and JMT - anyone have ideas if I'll be able to hike it this fall?

I have a permit to hike the John Muir Trail with a start date of August 31st.  I've been waiting about 43 years to hike it.  I am certainly hoping for the best, but realistically thinking it will be a NoGo.  Any thoughts on such a timeline?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Reply
6 Replies
Highlighted

@Rerun A Magic 8 Ball is probably as useful as any answer I could give.  If you think you will still be in a position to do it then I'd keep your plan.  The end of August is still a long way off and we might as well keep optimistic.

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted

@Rerun I would reach out to whoever gave the permit, as they will provide the best information. 

Good luck, Happy trails!

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted

@Rerun The situation this fall is essentially unpredictable.  Keep your options open and check regularly.  Don't drink disinfectants - they won't help.

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted

As obvious as that sounds, it never occurred to me!  Coming from Virginia, there the problem of air travel.  Not sure weather to book or not.  Probably make a final decision in mid-June.

Thanks

0 Likes
Reply
Highlighted

@Rerun, no, but I do have some questions: were you starting at Whitney or Yosemite?  Did you get the permit via Recreation.gov?  or from the park?

I have normally started at Horseshoe Meadows just south of Whitney, northbound, that way a permit via the trail head quota system is almost guaranteed.

As far as 31 Aug, gosh I hope we can hike by then!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes My permit is from YNP starting at Lyell Canyon heading South

0 Likes
Reply