I have a permit to hike the John Muir Trail with a start date of August 31st. I've been waiting about 43 years to hike it. I am certainly hoping for the best, but realistically thinking it will be a NoGo. Any thoughts on such a timeline?
@Rerun A Magic 8 Ball is probably as useful as any answer I could give. If you think you will still be in a position to do it then I'd keep your plan. The end of August is still a long way off and we might as well keep optimistic.
@Rerun I would reach out to whoever gave the permit, as they will provide the best information.
Good luck, Happy trails!
@Rerun The situation this fall is essentially unpredictable. Keep your options open and check regularly. Don't drink disinfectants - they won't help.
As obvious as that sounds, it never occurred to me! Coming from Virginia, there the problem of air travel. Not sure weather to book or not. Probably make a final decision in mid-June.
@Rerun, no, but I do have some questions: were you starting at Whitney or Yosemite? Did you get the permit via Recreation.gov? or from the park?
I have normally started at Horseshoe Meadows just south of Whitney, northbound, that way a permit via the trail head quota system is almost guaranteed.
As far as 31 Aug, gosh I hope we can hike by then!