cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Bright white day pack???

Sorry, I won't be buying into this sort of nonsense. Who thinks of this stuff?? A white day pack, seriously?!! Anything to sell a product I guess, I'm thinking ma

0 Likes
10 Replies

@Intrek40 assume you're looking at the new REI Co-op Member Exclusive Flash 22 Pack?

We're curious to hear what others think as well, knowing that the pack is made with all blue-sign approved materials and is intentionally undyed, eliminating the chemical- and water-intensive dying process and reducing our footprint...

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

The only thing that looks better than a brand new, clean pack is a used and dirty pack - white would be the perfect way to show that you're using your pack LOLOL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

intentionally undyed, eliminating the chemical- and water-intensive dying process and reducing our footprint

I admire the intent but imagine if everyone did that, not only with outdoors gear but clothing and other fabric-based items. How much more soap and detergent, both also chemical and water-intensive, will be used to keep this stuff clean over the life of the product? Will that really result in a net reduction of carbon footprint?

Seriously, I appreciate the endeavor to be more environmentally responsible. But will this initiative accomplish its objective in the end?

Imagine too how boring an all-white world would be...

...Wanderer

To answer your question, @REI-JenK - I say why not sell a white pack? Others already do - Hyperlite Mountain Gear, North Face, Mamut, MIER, Rains, and more. Besides, there are plenty of other light and bright colors that will suffer the same dirt effects. I just bought a Gregory day pack that's lime green and I know it's going to look dirty soon enough. 

I can't imagine anyone would buy a white pack with the expectation that they'll be able to keep it looking pristine. Okay, there will likely be someone who puts it in the washing machine with bleach once a week and then wonders why it disintegrated a month later, but hopefully that will only be one or two people.

I like that it's un-dyed and uses Blue-Sign materials.

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

it probably won't stay white very long.  Like @Dad_Aint_Hip says, it's show it's 'wear' and 'mileage' pretty soon.

Maybe you can drag it around in the backyard before heading out, lol. So you can look like a veteran trekker!

My ursack used to be white, now it looks like an old vet!  (maybe that's  why they now have a black model), anyway, because it's all white, I used a magic marker to put my initials on it, it large bold letters, which, imo, added to it's 'character'.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@Philreedshikes - you need to use the language of the youngsters, my friend. You didn't use "a magic marker to put (your) initials on it", you "bedazzled it"!

🤣

0 Likes

@Dad_Aint_Hip  oh man!  thanks for the great catch! lol

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

No problem! But now that begs the question - how many ounces of rhinestones is an acceptable amount to add to your base weight?

Who sez Dad Ain't Hip?