cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best trax for winter walking?

Hi

I need some advice on which of the many trax devices I should be considering. I am mostly an urban winter walker (sidewalks or street so I can maintain social distance) with some park trails. I am male and wear a size 9 EE walking boot. I am uncertain as to which products I should be considering and hope you can provide some advice. Thanks!

Mark

0 Likes
3 Replies

I've been very happy with my Kahtoola MICROspikes, and the company stands behind their product: they sent a free replacement for one of ours where the rubber had started tearing on one foot (we haven't had issues with any of our others or the replacement). I wouldn't however recommend their MICRO ones for you, as they are very aggressively tall teeth and are best suited for more rugged terrain, they create some weird pressure points on pavement. I'd go with their lower profile NANOspikes or for slightly more traction EXOspikes. YakTrax brand are also plenty popular based on the footprints I see in my area and probably work just as well for the urban environment, but I personally prefer Kahtoola's stuff over YakTrak's coils.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi @mjfellman 

Another vote for Kahtoola.  For your described purposes, the NANOspikes are probably fine.  I personally  own a pair of Yaktrax Pros, and have had no issues with them at all, including in Banff in Alberta.  They worked just fine, and still do. I just purchased the EXOspikes and tried them out for the first time last weekend.  I can't say if they provided any better traction, but they felt more "natural" underfoot.  Of course, the EXOspikes are twice as expensive as the Yaktrax if budget is a primary concern.

Good luck!

0 Likes

I prefer the Yaktrax Diamond Grip over the Pro model.  The Pro is flimsier and doesn't hold up well to mixed conditions (snow/dirt or snow/concrete).  It also tends to come out of place on steeper terrain which can result in losing it.  The Diamond Grip is beefier, and also feels more natural on your foot rather than the springy feel of the Pro.  I really love Kahtoolas Microspikes but I think they'd be overkill for you, especially if you have mixed snow and concrete.  I have no experience with the Nanos.

0 Likes