cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best hiking boots for arthritis

It's time for new hiking boots. My hikes are short (1 hour) but frequent. The weather conditions I usually hike in are hot, dry summers and wet winters (no snow). Terrain is sometimes rocky and steep. I'm female and about 155 pounds. The pack I usually carry weighs 12 pounds.

I have arthritis in my great toe joint. The less my boot bends, the more comfortable I am. So I'm looking for a really stiff sole in an over-the-ankle GTX boot. It has to be under $200; under $150 would be better.

Which boots would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Cate

0 Likes
4 Replies

@Cate thanks so much for reaching out, and for providing so much helpful information in your original post - that means we have fewer questions to ask before we can make recommendations! The only details that would still be helpful to know are about your feet: are they wide, narrow or medium width? High, low, medium volume?

Typically, our stiffest boots are going to be classified as backpacking/mountaineering boots, however those are also some of our most expensive boots. So, hitting under $200, and ideally under $150, for a really rigid boot is tough. Without knowing those details about your feet, here are a few you might consider:

• La Sportiva Trango TRK GTX - limited sizes on REI Outlet; La Sportiva tends to run a bit more narrow and we recommend sizing up if you're between sizes
  • Vasque St. Elias GTX - top of your price range and may not be quite stiff enough - available in wide width
  • Asolo Finder GV - above your price range, fits a little wider in the toe box, narrower in the heel - on the stiffer side and a bit lighter/cooler than a full leather boot

The other boots we'd recommend for exceptional stiffness (Asolo TPS 520, Zamberlin Viox) will jump further above your price range. One other option to consider would be a less rigorous boot and adding an insole to increase the rigidity under foot...

Because footwear fit is so important, and pretty challenging online, we'd recommend either:

We hope this helps to get you started; don't hesitate to reach back out if we can answer any further questions here in the community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-JenK Thanks so much, Jen! Great guidance.

I'll go to my local store and explore combining an insole with a good boot in my price range.

0 Likes

I just got back from my first walk in my new Oboz Sawtooth II boots, recommended by staff at the Santa Rosa store. Highly, highly recommend these for anyone who needs a truly stiff sole in a day hiking boot. SO comfortable!

@Cate 

Thank you so much for circling back here in the community to share your success with hiking boots! We are sure this information will be helpful to others as well. We hope those new boots bring you many happy miles on the trail!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes