cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best cell carrier for hiking in North Carolina?

What is the best cell phone carrier for coverage out on the trails? I live in NC and mostly use the All Trails app on my phone when I am out hiking. Is there one carrier that generally has better coverage on the trails so that I can use the app to track where I am on a trail?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I prefer the combination of old school (map and compass) and new age (GPS) along with the skills to know how to use them all. Each has its purpose.

A GPS is very handy to show you where you are as well as how you got there. Some smartphone apps now go far beyond traditional maps in that they support multiple overlays of topographic info.

Maps are better in case of emergency like dead batteries. They can sometimes show smaller scale and greater detail than online maps.

...Wanderer
5 Replies

I can't comment on specific carriers since I imagine that depends on where you hike. 

However, most apps allow you to download maps into your phone before you set out on a hike. If you do that you'll have a usable GPS even in areas where there's no cell coverage. Plus, if you do this over WiFi you'll save on the cost of data.

I'm not that familiar with All Trails but I believe that the ability to store downloaded maps in your phone is a feature of the Pro version. I think it's well worth paying for that feature alone.

...Wanderer

@Joe Do you have any thoughts about this topic? Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Second attempt to reply.  Based on my experience, coverage in the mountains is spotty, not dependable.   The strongest coverage is near the interstates and larger urban areas in the Piedmont and Eastern NC.  

At times, my cell phone may have cell coverage, but indicates NO data coverage.    

I prefer a topo map and compass. Gives you a much better view of everything around you and out further. Critical in emergencies. Also, the batteries never die and never needs data buffering!

I prefer the combination of old school (map and compass) and new age (GPS) along with the skills to know how to use them all. Each has its purpose.

A GPS is very handy to show you where you are as well as how you got there. Some smartphone apps now go far beyond traditional maps in that they support multiple overlays of topographic info.

Maps are better in case of emergency like dead batteries. They can sometimes show smaller scale and greater detail than online maps.

...Wanderer