cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Backpack for larger waist

Looking for a backpack for a female who wears a size 18. What packs fit larger waists?

0 Likes
2 Replies

@Laurelgs I'm a guy, so not sure how relevant this is but I had the same concern (I'm a bigger guy).  I shopped and looked at the measurements for waist and sternum and was a little worried (I've got a 40" waist).  I got a Gregory Paragon 58 and the measurements on the specs were spot on.  Very comfortable.  I also looked at the Osprey Atmos and tried a few on and they were pretty spot on too.  Hope this helps. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@Laurelgs thanks so much for your question! Before we can make good recommendations, it would be helpful to know a few things. First, what kind of pack are you interested in?  A daypack or one to be used for a short or long backpacking trip? Also, how tall are you? This helps us know if men's/unisex models might work for your torso length. or if we should focus on women's-specific packs only.

If you are interested in a backpacking pack, you might consider a model that has a removable hip belt, which will allow you to swap out hip belts. So, for example, you could purchase a women's Traverse 65 pack in the correct size torso length (XS, SM, MD,), then swap out the hip belt for a size that fits better. This is often a modification best done in our stores (for free at the time of fitting/purchase), so if possible, you might wait until your local REI store reopens. Or, you could consider setting up a free virtual outfitting appointment in the meantime to talk through options!

Let us know if, instead, you are interested in a daypack and we'll provide some suggestions for those!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes