cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Are there socks that are woven in such a way to eliminate the need for a liner sock?

Socks--REI in-store employee said don't use liner socks anymore, that special weave obviates need

0 Likes
10 Replies

@Tron Thanks for reaching out!

While the performance of your socks (and whether you need a liner sock) is going to depend greatly on the individual and their feet, we do carry some socks that have a double weave design that works almost like an integrated liner sock to reduce friction and blisters. Check them out here, WRIGHTSOCK CoolMesh II Crew Socks.

Hopefully that helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

"whether you need a liner sock) is going to depend greatly on the individual and their feet"-precisely so.  Years ago, iroutiney wore liner socks - now, rarely, especially if the shoes are well broken in.  In general thicker socks work best whe worn alone.....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Same here, as @hikermor , years ago I sometimes wore liner socks, but haven't felt the need to in over 10yrs, probably because socks are made much better.

My current socks, while backpacking in trail runners, is the Darn Tough brand.

I equate this to wearing gaitors, in the summer, trails dusty or "gravelly", people see or hear others and think, hmmm, maybe I should have this, or that.

My socks (and feet) were literally soaked in dust from a ....dusty trail (what else, lol), this summer, and I probably would have benefited from gaiters, but it's just another thing to carry.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

I was in the Eugene store yesterday and Annie was very helpful. I've now recalled she was specifically referencing the "PhD" sock line. I've been breaking in some La Sportiva leather, more mountaineering boots, and am just going out to compare to one of my pairs of Asolo boots. Thanks!

@Tron 

Thank you for circling back with us, we'll be sure to pass along your positive experience at the Eugene store!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Tron WRIGHTSOCKS are the best! I use them ALL OF THE TIME - literally! For backpacking, hiking, trail running, and even everyday wear!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

0 Likes

I still wear liners, and they're always Injinji.  My hot spot/blister issues are between my toes.  The Injinji toes completely solve the problem.  I also occasionally wear the thicker Injinji anklet runners and crew hiking socks which have toes, too. 

@johnt  You know, I want to try those

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

I learned about them from a guy who is a world class adventure racer.  I did two 13ers that day and he did the first one with me, then took off doing the entire ridge and still beat me back to the truck. I complained about my blisters and he pulled off his trail runners and showed me.  He’s sponsored by Injinji.  I knew immediately they were what I needed.  I talk them up every chance I can.  Wish I could be a brand ambassador!  But they’re probably not looking for a short, bald 63 yo as their spokesmodel!😀