cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Anyone doing the 52 Hike Challenge in 2022?

I love goals and I find that I do better a) when I write my goals down and b) have someone holding me accountable.  So, to that end, I'm planning to do the 52 Hike Challemge on 2022.  My "rules* for my challenge are:

- Hike has to be at least 2 miles.  Many of mine will be a quick hike after work.

- Route has be at least mostly non paved or concrete.

- Hiking the same trail(s) over and over counts.  Again, mostly after work.

- Multi-day hikes, as long as they meet the previous stated requirements (minimum 2 miles per day, mostly off road, etc ) count as multiple hikes.

Anyone else doing the challenge? 

https://www.52hikechallenge.com/

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
23 Replies

Hey @nathanu !

I too got Hike#1 on the books.  January 1 at Rocks State Park in Maryland.  Like yours, rainy, wet, sloppy...but warm by our standards.  Check out my pics on the thread "First Day Hikes" - Across Maryland's (and America's) State Parks !

Accomplish my first hike of the year today. It was 4 miles. I had planned on snowshoeing Big Springs on New Years; but family matters took precedence. So my hike was on a trail near where I live. So #1 is in the books and 51 more to go!

Just completed my second hike of the year. It was a bit over 4 miles, and along a nice secluded trail. Enjoy it very much. Weather was great for this time of the year!

@nathanu 

This is such a cool program, thanks for sharing! REI is a sponsor, too! I'm going to talk to my kids about it tonight and see if they'd be interested in doing it with me. Maybe we can work out a slightly milder version of your rules. Thanks! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

My patches and stickers just arrived today.  We're supposed to get about 5" of snow overnight.  Not enough to warrant snowshoeing, but should make for some beautiful scenery.

Just finished my 3rd hike of the year for the 52 hike challenge.
I’m retired so I am able to do at least 3 hikes a week at any time.
Today, I did a section of the Murdoch Canal Trail. It was a little over 4 miles.
It might not be in the mountains yet, but I do what I can do.

#2 down.  7 miles along the Lower Susquehanna River Heritage Trail.  A whopping 46' of elevation gain! 😀

Because of the snow and ice making all the trails slippery, we wanted to avoid any steep ascents/descents this time out.  It was about 25*F and sunny, but most of the trail is wooded, so little of the sunlight actually reached us.  Saw some bald eagles perched along the river.

Got started a little later than normal this time and missed the sunset but did get the mountain almost entirely to myself. There were a few folks at the summit when I got there but they left before I did. Another couple came up while I was there but didn't stick around. As I was coming down the West Loop, I could see their light heading down the East Loop. Very quiet, very calm and very cool. Anyway, #hike2 in the books for the #52hikechallenge2022.

PXL_20220119_225252797.MP.jpg

PXL_20220119_230809113.jpg

PXL_20220119_230756479.jpg

PXL_20220119_231151491.jpg

PXL_20220119_232352366.jpg

Hi There... Yes, I am doing the 52 hikes also.  I love GOALS!!!!

DEB

Finished hike #4 on Tuesday, and hike #5 Today. Both very easy enjoyable winter hikes with beautiful scenery and great air! No others were out there and it was extremely peaceful and fulfilling!