cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Anyone doing the 52 Hike Challenge in 2022?

I love goals and I find that I do better a) when I write my goals down and b) have someone holding me accountable.  So, to that end, I'm planning to do the 52 Hike Challemge on 2022.  My "rules* for my challenge are:

- Hike has to be at least 2 miles.  Many of mine will be a quick hike after work.

- Route has be at least mostly non paved or concrete.

- Hiking the same trail(s) over and over counts.  Again, mostly after work.

- Multi-day hikes, as long as they meet the previous stated requirements (minimum 2 miles per day, mostly off road, etc ) count as multiple hikes.

Anyone else doing the challenge? 

https://www.52hikechallenge.com/

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
24 Replies

That's a great idea @nathanu !  I am considering it.  My biggest reservation is that during the warmer months, I often do extended biking trip (25+ miles), or kayaking trips.  It's tough to fit a hike in there as well.

I am now, @nathanu !

Thanks for the reminder of this challenge!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Thank you. This is the first I have heard about this challenge. I will be doing the hike challenge. I do triathlons, so I wish that there was a swim and bike challenge also. Thank you again for bringing this to everyone’s attention.

I'd never heard of this and I probably won't officially sign up for it, but I normally do between 65 and 75 hikes per year, this year was 68. I was already planning on doing a second round of the New Hampshire 52 Wirth-A-view peaks in 2022.

0 Likes

OK @nathanu , you've convinced me.  I just read through the information and see that the 52 hikes can be completed at any time throughout the year, not specifically one per week.  That negates my concerns about those times when I'm biking or kayaking.

I registered for the Adventure Series, so there are a few other challenges involved, not just the quantity of hikes (find waterfalls, do trail maintenance, introduce a new person to hiking, etc).  And, I think I have convinced some of my hiking buddies to join in the Challenge.

So, I will be joining @nathanu , @Dad_Aint_Hip  and @GunnyMike , with my first official hike of 2022 coming on Saturday, Jan 1, New Years Day, when the State of Maryland hosts self-guided hikes at all of the state parks on the First Day Hike program.

@Rob6 thats awesome!! My first hike of 2022 will likely be an afternoon / sunset hike Monday or Tuesday (in fact, most of mine will me afternoon / sunset hikes during the week).  I have a few longer trips planned but most will be one night to three nights at most.  Excited to hear stories and see pictures nof everyone's adventures this year!!

0 Likes

Thanks @nathanu .  We're actually doing a NYE hike tomorrow, since everyone has the day off.  Just a 6 mile or so day-hike, but, a good way to end 2021, and a primer for 2022.  And, I'm already planning some of the hikes that will earn me my Adventure goals, like Rickett's Glen State Park in PA for some waterfalls, and Rocks State Park in MD to watch a sunrise and/or sunset from atop the King & Queen's Seat rock formation, and trail maintenance with the Harford Land Trust and Lancaster Conservancy.

Maryland has a lot of National parks, monuments and historical designations in and around the state.  Assateague Island for a seashore hike...history at Fort McHenry, Antietam Battlefield, Gettysburg, Philadelphia...

So many things to do!  This Challenge is a great incentive to get out to see and experience all that there is in the area.

Well my first hike of the year, overnight changed to a snowshoe hike this Saturday. Looking forward to this next year. Despite Covid, this past year was a really good one for me; which included finding this site to converse with like minded individuals.

Cold. Wet. Sloppy. Dark. Awesome. First hike of the new year and #hike1 of the #52HikeChallenge2022 in the books. Lots of water on the trail, I think the most I've seen at Pine Mountain. Also, a light dusting of snow in the "rock garden" section as ypu approach the summit.

PXL_20220103_225001441.jpg

PXL_20220103_225010048.jpg

PXL_20220103_231117456.jpg

PXL_20220103_231713759.jpg

PXL_20220103_231727203.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20220103_231758654.PORTRAIT.jpg