cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Advice on choosing a women’s hiking boot

I am a bit new to hiking although I am an outdoor enthusiast and have stayed fit playing sports. As I’m in my mid-50s, I want a hiking boot that is lightweight, breathable, and has good arch support. I would love any experienced suggestions.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Reply

@Linda1 thanks so much for reaching out! These kinds of questions are some of our favorites to get to help with! We have a few important questions before we can make helpful recommendations and because fit matters so much for footwear, we'd highly recommend setting up a free virtual outfitting appointment for an opportunity to chat with one of our employees about your specific feet! Please know that our appointments are booking quickly right now; we are adding additional appointments each evening for the following 48 hours, so you can always check back if all appointments seem taken.

So, with that said, we have a few really important details we'll need to know to make good recommendations:

• Sounds like breathability is important. Are you also interested a the shoe/boot being waterproof? Do you live in a wet/cold or dry/hot climate?
  • Are you set on a hiking boot or are you open to considering a hiking shoe? Here's an article that may help you decide between the two...
  • How many miles/hours do you plan to hike (on average) each time, and will you be carrying a backpack with any substantial amount of weight?
  • Finally, it will be important to know, ahead of time, that most hiking boots/shoes do not come with significant arch support (b/c many feet don't require it) so often folks who need arch support will add an after-market insole to gain the support they need.

Once we hear back about some of those details, we'll jump in with some specific recommendations!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes