cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Who gets credit for getting YOU into the outdoors?

As I find myself trying navigate the uncertainty of right now, I've been stepping up my time running and riding my bike solo. On a ride yesterday, I began thinking about where my love of the outdoors started, and who gets credit for. For me, it was definitely my parents - my dad taught me to ski and rode the 5-boro bike trip in NYC repeatedly with me, my mom took me camping and skiing. In a moment like this, I am ever so grateful to both of them for instilling this love in me, as I find myself falling back on the outdoors for comfort and a dose of sanity.

How about you? Maybe it was your parents, a friend, a relative, a teacher...maybe it was yourself...but who do you give credit to for instilling in you a love of the outdoors? We'd love to hear about them. Share a picture or maybe even invite them to join this community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
25 Replies

@Greg62 

This is a great story, thanks for sharing!

0 Likes
  • My parents got me started in the outdoors with our family camping and fishing trip.  What fun we had as we covered our home state of Arizona 

Four+ shared concepts/"notions" :

"Who?  You mean 'Where?'"

"I never left the outdoors."

And, " into. Out.". ?!

"Out-of-doors. Now, That is awkward."

"Mother nature and father time." (and the multicultural rainbow of variance of that, brother eagle sister sky, etc)

The pied piper, back in the crusades.

Personally though, my mom was from the outback and I was born near a river in drought clime New Old California.  I' m closer to

"I never left the outdoors" and

"Who?  You mean 'Where?'"

My dog! 😂

@explorer126 have a picture to share?!

0 Likes

Growing up, the family was always outside camping, hiking, canoeing and skiing. I credit my father for setting the pace for all our outdoor activities.  I never knew anything different and thought everyone lived this way.....

My father picked up his love of the outdoors from his father. He grew up every summer on the water and in the winter on snow. The skis they used in 1950 were absolutely scary. 

My grandfather spent every summer fishing and every fall in the deep bush of northern Canada hunting. The skills were passed on through the generations; until now.  My boys were not taught how to hunt; their mother is anti-gun/anti-hunting.