cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What is your favorite piece of gear from this year?

While we know you all love talking about gear all the time, with @TomIrvine's recent "State of Optimum Gear Possession" post, @Marshgarsh's Favorite Backpacking Gear thread being brought back to life, and the excitement coming in around Co-op Cycles, it seems like the topic might be even more top of mind than usual. 

We recently announced the REI Co-op Editors' Choice Awards winners, recognizing our picks for best-in-class gear from a wide range of activities. Now it's time for you to share yours with us!

It doesn't matter if it is used or new, updated or classic, bought or borrowed — we want to hear what your favorite piece of gear from this year has been. Maybe some of them will even match the items on our list!

featured_nov21_started-gear.jpg

Share the gear and their stories & photos below!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies

I like the Kershaw "Chill" EDC knife for foraging and general use. It's a good size for most jobs, folds into a slim, light profile for the pocket, and at less than $50, you don't worry so much about losing it.

Oh, and it opens with an easy, one handed, flipper assisted, flick.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I picked up the garmin in-reach mini this year and really love it!  Combined with the phone app it's simple to use.

I especially like being able to request detailed weather forecasts.

I have a long list of folks who receive my daily updates (3 free pre written messages, sent as often as you want).  they get as well a map link which, when expanded, drills down to a satellite view of your location, pretty cool!

the other thing I like, is I only pay for the service when I use it, about $15/month for the cheapest plan.

IMG_4538 w orton.jpgIMG_4531.JPEG

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Over the summer I loved a pair of Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants. They're superlight and airy, so I felt comfortable and dry in 90-degree Brooklyn while hiking around parks with iNaturalist.

I second this gear-fave jonb! I live in the Ferrosi shorts all summer long. I have three pairs. I wear them cycling, hiking, and anything else. Good stuff.

One more vote for the Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants...and shorts...and hooded soft shell jacket.  Outdoor Research has become my favortite outdoor clothing brand.

My favorite new gear is a set of Kari Traa Women's Fantastisk Base Layer Top and pants.  They are made of stretchy synthetic material and they are a great camping layer.  I wear them to bed, and in the morning I can just layer clothing over them until the sun comes out and warms things up.  They are just well-made and nice to wear- the waistband doesn't roll, the top doesn't bunch up.  I love them so much I bought my daughter some too. 

Also, a shout-out to the Big Agnes Mica Basin arimchair.  I spent way too much on it intending to give it as a gift.  Then I set it up to see how it worked and kept it myself.  It's small and light so I've taken it along when in the past I would have made do without a chair at all.  It's nice to have in the car for changing shoes and relaxing with a beer after a hike.  Mine has fabric that looks like a brown trout, so that's an added bonus. 

I have several contenders, but my favorite was my Marmot Castle Peak snowpants.  They have kept me very warm when riding a lift with wind-chill pushing well below zero and have loads of zipper vents to cool off if the sun decides to make an appearance.  They are too warm to be uphill snowpants, but that isn't why I bought them.  Also, very comfortable and don't inhibit movement.  Secondarily they also have a nice blue color and cool trim to them, almost bellbottom looking without ski boots on.

Diesseldorf_0-1635868411923.png

0 Likes

The Outdoor Research Methow pants are my favorites for cold weather activity. Warmth without bulk, they preclude the necessity of donning base layer bottoms for most of my winter activities. Very comfortable too.

Interesting.  I already have an old Columbia shell that works well for uphill or XC, but when that eventually wears out I may take a look at these.

0 Likes