cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: What are your best, dirt cheap camping gear finds?

My wife just found a Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person tent for $4 dollars, brand new at the local Salvation Army and it got me thinking about all of the great gear I've found on a budget. What piece of gear have you found for dirt cheap that you would have paid good money for?

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
23 Replies

I was told to my video would be appreciated here: https://youtu.be/oL4rjOPLvbs

Van tour of a Honda Fit full camper, sleeps two with great gas mileage. Full tour of van kitchen, camping food, sleeping and storage. Instagram: @speakingqui...

Very cool! I drive a Mazda 3 hatchback, so I'm working with similar space. I took it van camping to Padre Island National Seashore, and later to the Texas Hill Country. I'll have to remember your food storage and bug nets for my next trip.

0 Likes

@Bonfire 

On BassPro, there is a $20-$30 backpacking tent, A-Frame.

Kyle M | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtrM2UkJKMvKv3qyR9WFv7w
Have a Great Day, and make your best adventure yet.

I’m in a large city, so the REI Garage Sale has been good.

We have, or had, an Eddie Bauer outlet up here in an outlet mall in Williamsburg (va), they used to have a season clearing sale in the summer.  I bought a great 800 down jacket for around $35, but sizes were limited so I bought something 'way too' big.  When they got that seasons shipment of new jackets, I returned it for one that fit.  They were cool with that.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

those brs mini burner stoves, under $20 are really an incredible buy. Inexpensive and only around 25gr!  They might be inexpensive, but the one I have is still going strong after about 3 yrs.

I love my BRS! The only downside is that I picked up the GSI Halulite 1.1 pot and it's just a bit too wide for the supports on the BRS. Or, more accurately, I feel they are not wide enough to accommodate the pot.

But, yes, it's a great stove and really light

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

Yep, quite the balancing act, also had to make a windscreen out of aluminum foil 

0 Likes

the 'ubiquitous' smart water bottles are pretty cheap, not to mention unbelievably lightweight.  I preach these to all my friends who are trying to lighten up their packs.

They also share the same thread pattern with a lot of the filters out there. Remember the weight of carrying actual Nalgenes!? lol

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
0 Likes