cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What are your best, dirt cheap camping gear finds?

My wife just found a Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person tent for $4 dollars, brand new at the local Salvation Army and it got me thinking about all of the great gear I've found on a budget. What piece of gear have you found for dirt cheap that you would have paid good money for?

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
18 Replies

Army surplus bearpaw snowshoes in good condition for $7.  This was 1961, but a gonzo deal even then.  How about a mountain cook set for $4.00, also mil surp?

@Bonfire , this is such a fun question. A $4 Mountainsmith tent is impressive! Can't wait to hear about where y'all camp with it. High five to your wife for finding it!

This winter I bought a Mountain Hardware Sub-Zero Jacket on Facebook Marketplace for $30. Vermont has already given me sub-zero temperatures multiple times this winter, so I am definitely thrilled with the find. When I told @REI-JohnJ, he said it was "probably a world record for insulation value per dollars spent." It's a big win in my book.

Thanks again for asking. Looking forward to hearing from others with their fun answers. 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@Bonfire 

What a fun topic! I purchased a vintage Chouinard Equipment ice axe and ring of pitons, all stamped with the Diamond 'C' logo, at a pawn shop in Fairbanks, Alaska for $10. I would have paid significantly more than that (if I had the money at the time). Pawn shops in Alaska are troves of vintage outdoor gear! I'll post a pic once I find which moving box it is in...

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

As a Pawn Shop and Thrift Store addict, especially in places different than the midwest, I would LOVE to check out what Alaska's second hand stores have to offer. 

I bet there is some pretty great wool finds? Even up in the Pacific Northwest the offerings are so much different than what you find here. 

We were on vacation a few years ago and stopped in at a thrift store. Found a brand new Coleman full size inflatable mattress for $10. We've used that for car camping and Scouting overnights (where we have to hike a really long 100' from the parking lot to the campsite LOL - we may be Scouts but we are suburban scouts!!)

Recently I picked up a brand new Gregory Baltoro 65 for $68.

Then, of course, there are all the items that I've repurposed for camping and hiking. For example, I bought  my wife a Fireball Advent calendar this past season and it had a plastic mini bottle of Fireball for each day. Washed a few of them out and they now will carry a variety of items when I backpack - hot sauce, seasoning mix (salt, pepper, and garlic powder), and - of course - a couple will be refilled with proper whiskey  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

First of all, as a Dad and former Suburban Scouter (Eagle Scout!), I can say that dads ARE hip and being a dad is punk as **bleep**! 

Secondly, I started off with my dad doing car camping, and it's what turned me in to the backpacker, snowshoer, car rambler I am today. Your kiddos are gonna be awesome!

I wish you could see them talk fondly about these 100' hikes with their friends when they are your age. 

0 Likes

a fireball advent calendar?! Oh My Goodness!  Laugh Out Loud!  Will def keep an eye out for these next year...or next week...

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

It's hilarious. My wife came home with it, showed it to me, and proudly announced "Hey hon, you just bought this for me!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

I was told to my video would be appreciated here: https://youtu.be/oL4rjOPLvbs

Van tour of a Honda Fit full camper, sleeps two with great gas mileage. Full tour of van kitchen, camping food, sleeping and storage. Instagram: @speakingqui...
0 Likes