cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What are some atypical 'outdoor' activities you enjoy?

Hi everyone.  I was recently reading the article in Uncommon Path titled "What Does It Mean to be Outdoorsy?" and it made me rethink all the different activities I enjoy. 

Yesterday, I spent the largest part of the afternoon navigating a huge local corn maze with family and friends, followed by picking apples in the farm's orchards.  Between walking my dog, the maze, and wandering through the orchards, I logged nearly 10 miles of walking, and had lots of fun in the process! (not to mention a 1/2 bushel of fresh apples)

For myself, in addition to the typical things I partake in, like hiking, biking, kayaking and camping that are considered Outdoorsy, I enjoy disc golf, ropes courses (like Go Ape), beach volleyball, flag football and outdoor music festivals.  Heck, I even enjoy mowing my lawn...sort of...sometimes...

I've mentioned some of these in passing in previous posts, but thought it might be interesting to see what other "Outdoorsy" people are into.  What outdoor activities do you enjoy that don't fit the standard mold of being "outdoorsy"?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
16 Replies

@TomIrvine 

I'm going to call you out on this one! I seem to recall a recent post about how someone had achieved 'Optimum Gear Possession'. Clearly, your example of an ergonomic grip carbon-fiber rake with titanium tines would indicate that there is always room for one more piece of gear. Perhaps we have now learned that the true optimum amount of gear is similar to bikes: n + 1, with 'n' being the current number of bikes/gear one has!

Side-note: at what point would a rake be lightweight enough to take with you on the trail? Asking for a friend.

Fun points to ponder, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Yeah, OK John, but REI doesn't even sell carbon fiber rakes, so so much for my 20% coupon.

For the trail, REI needs to develop a carbon fiber rake that is also collapsible. I'd be willing to be part of the design team.

@TomIrvine 

That's a fair call out on REI not carrying rakes to begin with. I'll pass this idea along, we may need to add another feature to make it multi-purpose...maybe a trowel on one end?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Chopping wood 🙂 

Borderline mainstream these days, but we used to do a lot of geocaching when it was a new thing. Kind of fallen away from it a bit, but as our kid gets just a little older and able to understand for herself how to follow the GPS directions, I can see us getting back into it.

Atypical? Well pretty normal for my area.

I take care of my woodlot. I gear up with a Husqvarna 61 with a 24 in bar, and a 359 with a 20.Spend time and money at war with some of the govts good ideas, like multiflora rose. Wild grapevines get cut in the fall and a shot of Roundup on the stump. They destroy timber.

I hunt with a flintlock,,,,, thats a bit off the mark.  Pretty much what would have been in this area in the 1700's except for caliber.

I have a small plot with what started as about 100 Christmas trees. The spruces came along, one concolor and 2 Douglas firs made it so I have about 40 left.

I shoot evil black rifles at short and mid ranges. Its a sport that you can be competitive in and color, sex, and age doesnt matter. Shockingly not as depicted. Standing, sitting and laying down seems like it would be easy but after a 8-10 hour day of fun and relaxation, my butt is kicked.

I have a pretty nice patch of black raspberries (not blackberries, different things) that I have moved in from the woods. Birds hauled the seeds from a local farm and planted them randomly.

I messed around with a flintlock once when it was left in my care by a guy who'd joined the Marines. I thought the gun was a lot of fun to shoot. Kinda like a time machine. It made me appreciate, a little bit, the problems of keeping powder dry for frontiersmen who depended on the guns for survival.