cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What are some atypical 'outdoor' activities you enjoy?

Hi everyone.  I was recently reading the article in Uncommon Path titled "What Does It Mean to be Outdoorsy?" and it made me rethink all the different activities I enjoy. 

Yesterday, I spent the largest part of the afternoon navigating a huge local corn maze with family and friends, followed by picking apples in the farm's orchards.  Between walking my dog, the maze, and wandering through the orchards, I logged nearly 10 miles of walking, and had lots of fun in the process! (not to mention a 1/2 bushel of fresh apples)

For myself, in addition to the typical things I partake in, like hiking, biking, kayaking and camping that are considered Outdoorsy, I enjoy disc golf, ropes courses (like Go Ape), beach volleyball, flag football and outdoor music festivals.  Heck, I even enjoy mowing my lawn...sort of...sometimes...

I've mentioned some of these in passing in previous posts, but thought it might be interesting to see what other "Outdoorsy" people are into.  What outdoor activities do you enjoy that don't fit the standard mold of being "outdoorsy"?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
16 Replies

Disc golf and ropes courses are both pretty fun!  I used to run a high ropes course in the summer and always enjoyed it as much if not more than the participants! 

I like the exercise mowing the lawn offers, but that's it.  I am happy to let the bees have the yard in May, so I typically don't mow that month at all. 

"Creek stomping" is always a favorite when it's warmer, which is basically just hiking up a creek while being in the water the entire way.  Usually try to end a waterfall that offers some good swimming or at least a larger spot for skipping rocks.  Not many people rollerski or crossblade here, but I know that isn't as uncommon in Germany, US northeast, and US west coast.  As always though, I would rather be typical outdoorsy by being out downhill skiing.

I'm a maker. I make stuff. My shop is a one car garage, and unless its pouring rain or below freezing, the garage door is open and I'm working in the driveway. (This may be encouraged by the fact that the shop is a mess, but I like to be outside anyway.)

We added a front porch to our house a few years ago, and again, unless its really cold, we eat dinner as a family on the front porch every night. I take my coffee and catch up on the YouTubes on the porch every weekend morning.

And when schedules permit, my wife and I pack up some gear and go hike and camp on the weekends. Thinking about it, we have probably spent more time in tents on vacation than in hotels.

Working in archaeology, a lot of my time is spent outdoors, although analysis and report writing guarantee indoor time as well.  But my really unconventional outdoor time was engaging in volunteer search and rescue activity - lots of night time activity and going outdoors when conditions were not optimum, to say the least.  Temps ranging from 100F+ to -30F, sometimes during storms, etc...

@Rob6 

This is such a great post, thanks for asking!

My family and I managed to make it through a corn maze this week, too! One 'atypical' thing I've added to my outdoors activities is star/planet gazing with my son and his telescope. The red light setting on my headlamp has come in VERY useful for that application!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I study fungi at a big 19th-century cemetery in Brooklyn, going on daily walks to see what's new. It's unusual terrain for the city—hills, meadows (albeit studded with upright stones and obelisks), ponds—because it's terminal moraine, where a glacier ran out of gas. It's also a splendid arboretum—8,000 trees, with many unusual species—and excellent for birdwatching. Nice place to be outdoors and usually not in the least crowded unless you count the true regulars, who number about 600,000 …

What is "standard outdoorsy"?

Only that which is politically correct enough in that article? 

I would say there is no real standard outdoorsy, more a public opinion poll on "normally associated" activities.  There also is no real "normal" person.

Nicely put @Diesseldorf !  That was kinda my point, and the point of the article that inspired ths post.  There are all sorts of outdoor activities that are overlooked because they don't fit within the confines of what the general perception of "outdoorsy" is, or means.

Aside from the topics I mentioned above, and in a nod to @hikermor , my daughter has recently received her degree in archaeology, and she is participating as an intern at a local-ish historical conservancy.  Is that "outdoorsy"?  Not by the standard definition, but, like @hikermor  she spends a great deal of time outdoors and in touch with nature while pursuing this activity.  And I have also volunteered with some digs.  I also plant a vegetable garden every year, and spend a lot of time tending it.  And I attend Renaissance Faires...in full costume of course.  That's outdoors.

Now, like @Diesseldorf says, there really is no "normal" person.  Especially me!  I'm as Abby-normal as it comes.  😃

Leaf-raking for me. October/November is prime season.

Presently I'm just using an old bamboo rake, but I'd like to get a nice carbon-fiber one with ergonomic grips. Would titanium tines be too much?