cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Tracking Weather in the Outdoors

Looking for good suggestions on how to track or read weather conditions while out in nature.  

Any good reference to read and learn from?

Best apps for weather coverage?  (assuming cell coverage)

Any other good ideas to stay safe?

I would appreciate any input / suggestions.  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
5 Replies

For day / quick overnight hikes, I typically just use the weather app on my phone and subtract a few degrees for every 1,000 feet of elevation.  Wind and rain are guesses more than anything for me (whatever the weather app says, usually).  On the AT, the site https://atweather.org has proven to be invaluable for me.

If you're carrying a satellite communicator (Garmin, ZOLEO, BivyStick, etc.) you can pull a weather report while on trail.

For ZOLEO, it is considered a text message to refresh and pull down a new report if it's done while connected to the Iridium network. But if you're connected to Wi-Fi or cell data, it's free. Can't tell you if Garmin dings your text count for a weather report or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Out of cellphone range there are a couple of options.

1.  The NOAA radio wearher broadcast. The Midland HH50 is inexpensive and small enough to take backpacking. The forcast is general and depends on which broadcast station you can receive.

2. If you spring for a Garmin InReach you can get a basic (48hr) or detailed (7day) weather forecast for your area for a small fee which varies depending on your subcription plan...basic is 1 text msg, detailed is $1, and all included with the Expedition plan . I'm not sure if other satellite messengers have this feature.

3.  If you are in Lightening country there are small personal lightening detectors available like the AcuRite 02020. I have no experience with these.

4. There are a few decent small light thermometers such as AcuRite 00315W, Thermoworks Thermodrop, Govee H5074.  Features vary and each has its issues. 

Somewhat more traditional..."Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning, red sky at night, sailor's delight."

I understand this rhyme actually is fairly valid.  Reegardless, you can be sure the weather will change, one way or the other.

None of the other old guys mentioned the old standard:

An Altimeter

And altimeter and a barometer are the same instrument with different ways to use them. You can use the altimeter as a crude barometer.

Not GPS altimeter, air pressure.

This is an underused, and underappreciated navigation tool as well.

0 Likes