cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Suggestions for warm/insulated pants or layering system for casual winter walks?

I'm looking for insulated pants (or maybe a magic combo or base layer/shell?) that will keep me warm for casual long walks this winter. I'm mostly seeing highly technical options but really just need something that is comfortable and moves well. I'm 5'4"/105 and have had issues finding options that won't fall down or drag on the ground. Thanks for any advice!

0 Likes
2 Replies

@WaterShoesNewbie thanks for reaching out with this question! Although insulated pants are great for activities like downhill skiing, for what you're describing, we'd likely recommend a combo approach instead, including a base layer with non-insulated pants on top - this will be more versatile and less bulky!

Base layers:

• We carry a lot of great base layers so you'll first want to decide between materials (synthetic vs. wool vs. silk) - this is pretty personal preference and we've got a helpful Expert Advice article on how to choose a base layer 
  • We'd likely recommend a lightweight or midweight layer, recognizing that the midweight will provide more warmth and will also be thicker, which can change the fit of the outer pant

In terms of the pants, we'd recommend something with a little stretch for accommodating the layering and also for flex while you're walking! The following pants will offer some good stretch and are available in a variety of sizes and styles:

We hope this helps get you started - let us know if we can answer any additional questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-JenK  This is incredibly helpful, thanks so much!!!