cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Spiritual Dangers....Beware

Sometimes, when the weather is no good, I'm not feeling great, or plans fall through, getting out doors isn't in the cards. It's times like those that I turn to Aldo Leopold's book, "A Sand County Almanac".

This weekend, on our way up to my cabin, I got to share my favorite chapter with the love of my life, and today, I wanted to share the intro with you. It is the second Chapter if you want to seek it out. 

"There are two spiritual dangers of not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.

To avoid the first danger, one should plant a garden, preferably where there is no grocer to confuse the issue.

To avoid the second, he should lay a split of good oak on the andirons, preferably where there is no furnace, and let it warm his shins while a February blizzard tosses the trees outside. If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator."

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
4 Replies

I have not read that book since high school.  Since high school, I have met a number of folks that would match that first paragraph (grocery and furnace).  Probably about time to pull that book out again.

Enjoy

Ordering this book now. Thanks

Very interesting!  Chopping wood is definitely hard work.  I removed 5 dead ash trees from around my house this year and have a new appreciation for those piles already bundled that are sold at the parks.

Not familiar with that book.  I need to find a copy. 

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978