cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Share your member story with us!

REI members have done a lot of cool things, like the couple who got married at our DC flagship store and the two best friends who revisited an old trail together 50 years later. We also can’t forget the daughter who continued outdoor traditions with her dad’s beloved blue sleeping bag

We hear there are more co-op member stories out there and we want to know about them! Share your member story with us by replying below.

featured_article-member-story-words-bigger.jpg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
50 Replies

Our family story is still being written.  It's been a great adventure for us as parents and incredible journey for our 4-year-old twins.  Our story as parents is the joy of teaching and having them adventure outdoors.  Their story will be a lifelong journey and has only started.  Their love for the outdoors cannot be described.  They truly love hiking and backpacking which gives us an opportunity to spend quality time together on the trail. Although young they have accomplished so much this past year.  Our most memorable trip was definitely Mt Whitney which we did twice last year. The twins set a record for being the youngest (4 years 5 months old) to climb Mt Whitney on their own (not carried). They truly are an inspiration to us and many more.

Two pictures below, but you can see all of them on Instagram or FB: Super Hiking Twins

Thank you REI for having a store nearby that provides us with all the gear we need. Mt Whitney.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

@Shaun wow, wow, wow, what amazing kids (and parents)! Thanks for sharing!

0 Likes

After being raised as the only child (a daughter) of a sportsman father, I enjoy nature and being outdoors, but in my own way. Not hunting & fishing as I did with my father,  but canoeing, sailing, kayaking, camping, hiking, and taking photographs. I joined REI while living in Oregon in the early 70s to get the best gear for my adventures. Then life and career slowed down my outdoor pursuits. When I wised up and got back to nature, of course I turned to REI but in another state! In the store checkout line, the cashier asked if I was a member. I told him  I used to be. He smiled and said then you still are! Now in my 70s and living near a different ocean I'm still an REI member with many happy memories and a lifetime of love for REI and the adventures your gear made possible.

I got my first REI membership card when I was a Boy Scout with troop 100 in Seattle Washington in the mid 1960’s. As I remember the membership as still $1.00

Back then the one and only REI store was in a basement space near downtown Seattle and instead of using retail store displays they would simply cut the tops off the cardboard boxes the items were shipped in and leave them in rows on the floor with hand written prices taped to the boxes. 

My Dad told me that his aunt Nettie (my great Aunt) was the first paid employee of REI...he told me he remembered that she would fill plastic bags with trail mix out of a big barrel in her kitchen 

I worked at the REI store here in Dallas TX several years ago, for about 4 years. It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had. Great products and great co-workers. Good benefits!!

I am now 63 and I still shop at REI. The stores are much nicer now!!

It was fall of 1977 and I was following my sister to attend the UW in Seattle. She new I was an outdoor kid since day one, so our first shopping trip was the REI store on Capital Hill. I was taken in by the many levels and creaky floors of the old tacked together buildings that made up the store. I bought my first Goretex coat, down sleeping bag, blue sleeping pad, pack and Raichle full-shank hiking boots. It was the beginning of 42 years and counting of rambling though the wonders of the Cascades and Olympics during which I've managed to climb and ski 4 of the major volcanoes and work my way through most of "Becky's Bible" of Cascade climbing routes. Thank you REI for being there with gear and advice that made it possible for a greenhorn from Connecticut!

inbound4610665229101651394.jpgI am just a girl from Queens, NY who found comfort in the mountains through their beauty and challenges. I purchased all my hiking & mountaineering gear from REI! Completing the entire Devil's Path Traverse in a personal best of 10hrs made me smile extra big. I am currently training to climb the 7 Summits of the World. I have successfully Summited 3 thus far: Kiliminjaro- Africa (in 2 days), Aconcagua (South America) & Elbrus (Europe). When I summitted Aconcagua which is almost at 23,000ft, people at Base Camp were congratulating me and asking me where I trained. I smiled and said " The Catskils- in NY!" Many laughed and couldn't believe it.. The Catskills has been my training grounds for the next of my 7 Summits which will be Denali in Alaska this June!

@Pattyboxer12 congrats on all that you've accomplished, and good luck with what's next! Thanks for sharing your inspirational goals with us!

0 Likes

just wow!  Good Luck!!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

2B95A962-D69C-4674-A905-8229C3E2A5D2.jpeg

When we landed in Las Vegas I had no idea I would return home newly engaged! My soon-to-be fiancé brought along my two very best friends and of course our first stop was at REI! It was also the last store we visited before we hiked to the top of Turtlehead Peak in Red Rock Canyon - where he proposed! We stopped at another REI during our weeklong road trip through Death Valley, Joshua Tree, LA, and Surfing in San Clemente.  

My best friend even made a video about the trip! 

REI is the only store on our registry. We will be camping for our wedding in Asheville, NC this September before our honeymoon thru-hike. REI has always been at the start of all of our greatest adventures, including the greatest adventure of all!

@Rachoww thanks so much for sharing!

0 Likes