cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Seeking feedback on REI events and classes - what have you attended?!

Hey there, I'm newer to REI and the outdoors. I keep seeing events coming up: kayaking 101, first aid, etc.. and I'm wondering who's done what event and how enjoyable it's been? have you done multiple events or are these more 1 time event type events? I'd love to get out, explore the outdoors and meet people... so I'm wondering. 🙂

~L 🙂
4 Replies

Hi @LucyTitle9 - Thanks for reaching out! 

It's great to hear your interest in REI classes and events! We wanted to tag a few community members that have talked about REI classes in the past.

@LHM@sara@lkiel83@Katherine@raddycar@KikiREI@lnl555 - if you all have taken REI classes in the past, do you have any advice or feedback to share? 

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I'm a lifelong learner, so I've taken many REI classes over the years. I haven't had a bad experience yet!

REI classes come in many different flavors. Some of the classes I've taken have been only an hour or two long and have been held in the community room of my local REI for free or 10ish dollars (an info night on climbing Mt. Shasta and learning basic map and compass navigation).

I'm in the Bay Area and many of the classes I've done were in the field and are actually part how-to class and part adventure (a night photography class/hike at Mission Peak and kayaking near Santa Cruz). These are good for trying out a new activity since REI provides all the gear. 

I also took the wilderness first aid course sponsered by REI and NOLS, a two day class held at a near by regional park. It isn't cheap, but I'd recommend it for anyone who ventures out. 

But my favorite REI class was a s'mores and beer pairing class at a brewery near my local REI ...so many s'mores...

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I've been on almost all of the kayak events offered in the DC area, and they were all fantastic. I've been on day-hikes and a backpacking trip to Shenandoah NP, also fantastic. I sent my daughter to the Map and Navigation class, but what she really liked was fire-starting. I also took many of the free evening classes they held at the local REI (pre-COVID, of course). They were a mixed bag, but if a topic is interesting, try it out.

0 Likes

@LucyTitle9 - I'm so excited to hear your interest in participating in REI classes and events!

As someone who leads/teaches and participates in these classes, it makes me giddy to have people that are newer to the outdoors participate! 

I want to point out that we are now also offering Virtual Classes and Events - check out the amazing line up of events we have coming up. 

I hope you have fun, in whatever capacity you join us!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes