cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Outdoor adventure goals, plans, and dreams for 2022

Happy New Year everyone! 

With a group as passionate about the outdoors as this one is, we know you all probably have some exciting plans and goals for the year ahead. While I'm not an official resolution maker myself, I do enjoy getting some dreams down on paper and the start of the year feels like a great time to do it. 

Last year, many of you shared with us your 2021 lists and it was an incredible conversation to participate in. 

featured_jan22_getting-goals.jpg

For me, my 2021 outdoor goals are to:

• Bikepack to Montreal (it's a little over one hundred miles one-way from where I live!)
  • Ski one hundred days this season

Now it's your turn. No matter what sport, place, or level, we want to hear: tell us what your goals, plans, and dreams for this upcoming year are!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
30 Replies

When I was trying to teach my younger daughter how to ride a bike I yelled some kind of advice. My older daughter scolded me “mom, that’s not how you do it! You have to encourage her with love and affection.” Then she went over and hugged her sister. Believe it or not, the next try her little sister rode  the bike. So I’m sharing her good advice. Love and affection wins every time!

Starting them early is the way to go!  My kids used the balance bike until 4, then at 5 biked with pedals and never needed training wheels.  Skiing was a little slower 3-5 I would take them out for an hour or so before the frustration started to set in, but 6+ they are going all day.  A slope rope can be a great and cheap tool for helping them down the longer runs when they are still learning.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I love this topic. This year I hope to:

1. Complete the 52-hike challenge with 52 unique trails. Thanks @nathanu for sharing the it! My dog will thank you, too.

2. Take at least 5 backpacking trips this summer. I only went once last year and I'm itching to get out.

3. Make it up to Glacier NP.

4. Break in the rafts I got for Christmas! With at least three river days.

5. Become a competent skier.

6. Peak at least one (real) mountain.

7. Do all this while still focusing on my career. I tend to put personal goals before professional gain, but that's something I really want to balance this year. Working hard while still enjoying life.

Mark me down for the ski 100 days this season please 😀.  I'd also like to get to Arches and Zion this spring.

100 day is a lot!  I'll be lucky to get out 30 days this season, which is my target number to make the cost of a season pass seem worthwhile. 

@REI-CarterC what a great topic!

I don't have too many specific goals yet for this year, but I can confidently say that the following is definitely one objective that I plan to accomplish this year:

Reconnect with nature: I have been living in Uruguay, a country where the majority of the land is privately-owned farmland, for the past 6 months. Now that I am back state-side, I plan to take advantage of the beloved wild spaces that we are so fortunate to have in this country, and to get back to backpacking, rock climbing, camping, hiking, trail running, etc.

www.brynsharpphotography.com

Welcome back @bryndsharp !! I've missed seeing your posts and the pics you take of your adventures!

Hope all is well with you!

@Rob6 thank you! I know I've been a bit of a ghost lately, but I plan to get a post up soon about the climbing I found down in Uruguay, so keep your eyes peeled on the climbing page!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

0 Likes

First off, great topic, but also love the responses so far!

For me, I am planning on getting some more hiking in throughout Texas, especially the following:

1. Hike to the Lighthouse - Palo Duro Canyon

2. Santa Elena Canyon, Window Trail and Boquillas Hot Springs - Big Bend

3. Guadalupe Peak 

Outside of that, I will be doing a ton of kayaking and camping down in the Lower Laguna Madre and Padre Island seashores

Texas Wanderer

Anything covid-safe is the focus, which for outdoor things is pretty easy in many cases...trying to get outdoors in my local area (Seattle) every day.

0 Likes