cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Outdoor adventure goals, plans, and dreams for 2022

Happy New Year everyone! 

With a group as passionate about the outdoors as this one is, we know you all probably have some exciting plans and goals for the year ahead. While I'm not an official resolution maker myself, I do enjoy getting some dreams down on paper and the start of the year feels like a great time to do it. 

Last year, many of you shared with us your 2021 lists and it was an incredible conversation to participate in. 

featured_jan22_getting-goals.jpg

For me, my 2021 outdoor goals are to:

• Bikepack to Montreal (it's a little over one hundred miles one-way from where I live!)
  • Ski one hundred days this season

Now it's your turn. No matter what sport, place, or level, we want to hear: tell us what your goals, plans, and dreams for this upcoming year are!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
32 Replies

My main goal this year is to get back to the 230 mile hike that was postponed because my wife got covid the week before. My second goal is to tent camp or backpack overnight at least half of the weekends this year. Or maybe hammock, if I decide to go that route. Not convinced it's for me LOL.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks for the topic, @REI-CarterC 

I did go back and read what I posted for last year and I think I was a bit overly optimistic with my goals. I did accomplish:

• buying a kayak and getting out multiple times
  • Hike a minimum of 250 miles (got just over 300)
  • Almost did 20 miles in a day but i needed to do further strength training on my knees. Should be good to go this year

So, this year:

• I'll hit that 20 mile mark
  • If I can get a permit for the GC rim to rim, I'll do that (have a couple friends lined up)
  • 300 miles of hiking/backpacking
  • And, of course, get in as much paddle time as I can 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

In 2022, I'm dreaming of some packrafting trips if there is sufficent snowpack to fill the rivers this spring. 

My goal is...more dayhiking!  I've been using some local land-use planning  documents as trail guides.  I'm trying to get familiar enough with certain areas so that I can weigh in on proposed planning. 

Thank for starting this great thread @REI-CarterC. My goals for this coming year are:

1. Complete the 52 hike challenge

2. Backpack at least 12 times with my grandchildren (Starting small and working up to a week long trek.)

3. Volunteer for a forest trail crew

4. Bike-pack at least 3 times with my grandchildren.

5. Teach my grandchildren to become advocates for our wild natural lands; by taking them hiking, biking, and backpacking to various areas around our state. 

6. Become more conservation minded.

7. To take more notice of the wildlife around me.

8. To be more vocal in what is happening to the wild natural lands in my state.

9. To treat everyone I meet or will meet in a Christ-like way, no matter where they are in their life.

10. To become more educated on the issues affecting our wild natural lands.

I applaud your efforts to get more involved in conservation!  I think you’ll find that taking care of the land and ecosystem deepens the spiritual connection you also mentioned in your goals. Have a great year outside!

Thank you for your kind words.

I love this question! My adventuring goals for 2022 are: 

1. Learn map and compass wilderness navigation.

2. Become certified in first aid and teach my kids first aid/survival basics.

3. Explore Glacier National Park with my family.

4. Go paddleboarding at least 5 times this summer/fall. Also to be able to completely inflate my own paddle board without my husband's help. 🙂

5. Become a paid travel writer.

Ooooh, love the goal to get first aid certified.  Have seen a LOT of good ideas on this post, may need to ammend my goals.

I'm not a person that tends to set concrete goals, but I do have a couple of hopes/dreams that we'll get our 3 year old daughter:

1. Able to fully ride a bike by using the pedals. She's pretty good on her balance bike and glides a bit, up to this point though I think her language ability has held her back from following directions to go that next step.

2. Get her started on actually skiing. We've stomped around inside the house with boots and skis on since last season, but she wasn't warmed up to actually gliding on the snow.

But these aren't really achievements for me, it's all up to her ultimately, so if it doesn't end up happening this year, then no sweat, she'll master them when she's ready!

I’d say those are some pretty great goals for a 3yo! Have fun working toward them with her!

0 Likes