cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Outdoor adventure goals, plans, and dreams for 2021.

Happy New Year everyone!

While it is a bit cliché at the new year to talk about our 'resolutions' (who else is losing weight and getting in shape this year?!), I do believe that it is helpful to share your goals with a community in order to help bring them to life. The support you find when sharing your goals can sometimes be the difference between achieving them and pushing them to the back burner (again) for the next year.

It is in that spirit of support and camaraderie that I ask: What are your plans, goals, and dreams for outdoor adventure in 2021? Big or small, from expert level to complete beginner, let's hear about what you hope to accomplish so we can inspire and support each other to get outside more in 2021!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
48 Replies

I suppose one of my goals should be to not be the first response on my own posts...but I digress.

Here are a couple of goals I'm hoping for in 2021:

1. Spend 30 nights sleeping outside.
  2. Introduce my kids, (8 and 5) to backpacking and make it fun enough they want to do it again.
  3. Return to my mountaineering days with a summit attempt of Mt. Adams, 12,276'.
  4. Complete two of three bikepacking trips: The Cascade Skyline, Mount St. Helens Epic, The Olympic Adventure Route.
  5. Convince someone to do the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier with me.

What are you hoping/planning for this year?

@REI-JohnJ what a great post! And thank you @REI-CarterC for tagging me!

2020 was kind of a funky year for me, as I had to take a lot of time off of climbing due to being "stranded" in Michigan, so I would say one of the biggest goals for me for 2021 will be to get back into climbing shape, and with that to start sending hard routes and exploring the back-country (climbing-style) again.

The AZ trail has also been on my bucket list since 2018, and although I don't think I will have time to complete the entire trek in a single shot (teaching is a 10-mo full-time commitment, y'all haha), I'd love to take a few weeks to a month to explore some of the sections of the trail that I haven't traveled yet.

Already looking to 2022, I am hoping the pandemic will have subsided enough that I will be able to safely and comfortably travel abroad to explore some of the places I have always wanted to experience (whether it be via climbing, biking, backpacking, mountaineering, horseback, kayaking, or something else entirely - like donkeys!).

Overall, I'd say 2021 will be focused on maintaining and improving my mental and physical well-being, continuing to push my limits (and to push/be pushed by others), meeting some rad new people and re-uniting with old buddies, and gaining new experiences in those hard-to-reach places!

I know I rarely post photos of myself, so here's to 2021! 🙂

Mt. Lemmon, AZMt. Lemmon, AZ

www.brynsharpphotography.com

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@bryndsharp those pictures are SO AMAZING!!! 

Thank you @REI-JenK! I had some amazing friends that helped make it possible. 🙂

0 Likes

Hitchcock Pinnacle, I believe!  Ahh, memories....

@bryndsharp is that you climbing?  Nice! Jealous

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

@Philreedshikes it most certainly is! 😄

0 Likes

@bryndsharp 

These photos are great, thank you for sharing! Are you wearing a cape?!?! Either way you're a super-hero in my book!

@REI-JohnJ thank you! Haha it does look like a cape, doesn't it?! It was actually my University of Arizona graduation gown! 😁