cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Non-Luxottica sunglass recommendation

I used to buy Native Eyewear

I loved the solid frames, the fact that every model was polarized, and the incredible warranty. Does anyone know an equivalent non-Luxottica brand?

0 Likes
4 Replies

@Yvonnel 

Thanks for reaching out!

I have had great luck with a pair of Tifosi sunglasses that I've had for over five years. They fit well and have been super-durable. Their warranty on their website states, "At Tifosi Optics™ we have built our name through our customer service and standing behind our product 100%. Therefore, we will warranty any sunglass against manufacturer’s defects to the original owner for the life of the product. Tifosi Optics will either replace or repair your glasses at our sole discretion." I can't speak to the process as I have never needed to utilize their warranty; my sunglasses are still in great shape even with pretty rugged use. Additionally, they have a page of replacement parts you can purchase for your sunglasses if needed.

I have also heard great things about Smith Sunglasses, however, I do not have first hand experience with them.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

+1 for Tifosi.  They came with three interchangeable lenses including clear which was great for night biking.  I really scratched up my favorites and ordered new ones.  They were pretty inexpensive if I remember correctly.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

And one more vote for Tifosi.  I've only had my pair for about a year, and use them primarily when biking, so I can't speak to their longevity.  They are lightweight, fit well; both securely and comfortably. Mine also came with interchangeable lenses, but I've not swapped them out yet.

I also just recently got a pair of Suncloud Slant polarized sunglasses from the REI Outlet and so far I am rather pleased with those as well. They also came with interchangeable lenses, and run slightly less expensive than Tifosi.

Neither brand is a part of Luxottica, and I think either would serve you well.

Good luck!

0 Likes

I have a pair of Maui Jim | REI Co-op sunglasses.  I don't know about the other makes but MJ offers models that are bi-focal. That feature allows us old geezers to be able to read our watches, GPS, maps, etc. on sunny days without having to constantly swap glasses. 

Be aware though, if you need this feature, to extra careful when hiking on rough surfaces, especially going downhill. If you look through the reading part of the lens you risk a misstep and fall.

...Wanderer

0 Likes