cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Join us on Black Friday as we close our doors again to #OptOutside

Countless things have changed since the first time we closed our doors on Black Friday five years ago. But one thing hasn't: the outdoors is still the best place to get some air, find some quiet, and feel human again. On November 27th, give yourself some space and #OptOutside. It might just make your day.

featured_article_sustainable-opt-outside-2020.jpg

So let's hear it - how will you #OptOutside with us?! Share your stories and plans below.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
18 Replies

@John 

We agree! I'll never forget the moment it was announced, it was such an amazing moment. Have fun out there!

I spoke with my family about this. While we typically hate shopping on Black Friday anyway (and usually avoid it), we've never been intentional about it. Nor have we been intentional about doing an activity instead.

That changes this year.

If the weather is decent, we're going on a family hike. If it isn't, then I'll "embrace the suck" and go on a solo day hike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@Dad_Aint_Hip 

Thank you for sharing! Here's hoping for good weather!

0 Likes

@Dad_Aint_Hip I used our first #OptOutside to try mountain biking for the first time - it was freezing and icy and although I thoroughly hated the activity, I was so grateful to be outside on the first Black Friday I didn't have to work in a retail store for the previous 12 years! Since then, I have tried mountain biking again, on a much warmer day, and loved it! This year, similar to @REI-JohnJ, I've got to wait and see what our weather does before I commit to a specific adventure! 

@REI-JenK - as long as whatever activity I end up doing isn't done in the snow, I'll be happy!  LOL

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

@Dad_Aint_Hip no snow, just some gray skies!meadowdale beach hike.jpg

That looks beautiful! No snow, so we went on a family hike. Although it was a short one (3.5 miles) it felt as though it was about 15 miles as my daughter kept asking "how much longer?" 

LOLOLOL

@Dad_Aint_Hip I can completely relate - we hiked all 4 days this weekend, each hike was about 3 miles, and there was lots of incentivization - snacks, breaks, making big deals of seemingly small things, talking about what to look forward to in the next section, singing, counting, and scheming about what we'd do when we got back to the car and the house!

We hiked some smaller hills, creek stomped, and threw rocks at a "waterfall".  The snow is around, but not everywhere yet.IMG_4100.jpgIMG_4094.jpg