cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Join the HOKA x REI Active Artist Challenge!

REI and HOKA ONE ONE want you to get outside this September and walk, hike, or run while practicing your creative art skills! We've teamed up to host a two-week challenge with some great prizes. 

- Join us on September 15th at 6:00pm EST for a Zoom webinar with artist and HOKA Field Experience Rep Luke McCambley. Learn about carrying supplies on the trail, the basics of drawing and painting landscapes, and more about the two-week Active Artist Challenge! Register for free here

- Then, between September 15th and September 30th, upload an image of your artwork OR you creating your art in the outdoors to REI Conversations! Simply hit "reply" to post below. You can also enter by posting on Instagram using #ActiveArtistChallenge (and tagging @rei and @hokaoneone).

- Once you post, you'll be entered for a chance to win our grand prize (a pair of HOKA hiking boots and a field notebook from REI).  Several other prize packages will be raffled off to participants as well. 

Spread the love and invite your friends to join! If you are new to either the arts or the trails (or both), this challenge is for you. Athletes and artist of all levels are welcome to participate.

We can't wait to see what you create 🙂 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
39 Replies

@RichChabot@sara, and @cavalier - With your recent discussion on painting while out on hikes, we wanted to share this upcoming event with y'all!

Hopefully it is something you can enjoy participating in. It would be awesome to see some of your artwork for the Active Artist Challenge!

Thank you

Registering now!! Thank you for the suggestion. 

@REI-KristenP - What forms of art? Are us photographer types eligible or is it strictly painting?

Angie

0 Likes

@AngiePaddlesandMore - thank you for the question!

The Active Artist Challenge is about drawing and painting in the outdoors, but if you're more photographically inclined, you could experiment with sketching an image you would normally shoot. You could also take a photo of yourself sketching or working in a notebook outdoors, and think of it as a self-portrait. There are many options and I hope that helps get some ideas flowing!

Overall the idea is to get out of our comfort zone and experience the outdoors in a new way during the last two weeks in September. The Zoom webinar on 9/15 @ 6:00pm EST is going to cover getting started drawing/painting outdoors which will provide more insight. Hope you'll join us! 

0 Likes

@REI-CarterC  Thanks for the heads up - I just registered!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Hello, everybody. Tried a pen sketch (minus watercolor) in emulation of last night's live lesson from Prospect Park. This is from nearby Green-Wood. I welcome ideas on what to do about trees. The complexity of the internal shapes, the light and dark—sooner or later I scribble. 

Occurs to me I might've taken a snapshot of the scene for comparison with the sketch. Maybe next time. 

Green-Wood, 9/16/21Green-Wood, 9/16/21

@jonb 

This is great, thank you for sharing! I wish I could have attended, it sounds like it was a really fun event. I'd love to be able to capture moments outside like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

@REI-KristenP, is it one entry per person? Either way, another from Greenwood, this time from near Battle Hill, so named for the Battle of Brooklyn. On the Wikipedia page you can find a mid-19th-century illustration "View From Battle Hill." Minor differences: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Island

IMG_8481.JPG