cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Join REI in taking Cooperative Action

Let's get things done. Together.

We’re excited to launch a new platform and idea—Cooperative Action—to help scale our impact in the fight for life outside. Said simply, Cooperative Action is how we get things done. As a single company, our impact is limited – but by mobilizing our 20 million members, our 14,000 employees and our entire co-op community, we can create enduring, positive impact on the issues most important to us: climate change and racial equity in the outdoors. Over the coming year, we’ll use the Cooperative Action Network to spark action and drive impact—from lightening your carbon footprint, to raising your voice on the issues that impact life outside for everyone, to collectively fundraising for the nonprofits partners that share our values. Today, you can take part in two ways:

1. Recommerce - Buy and Sell Used Gear. As we identify meaningful ways to address climate change and its disproportionate impact on communities of color, we see opportunities within our own walls. Through Cooperative Action, we can close the loop by keeping good gear in use. The repair and sales of used clothing and equipment will help us reduce our collective footprint together, diverting millions of items away from landfills.
  2. Cooperative Action NetworkOur inaugural program is a grassroots advocacy toolkit that builds on the co-op’s decades of policy and advocacy work and gives everyone in our community an easy way to take a stand on policies and legislation that impact the outdoors. Our policy-specific work through the network is focused on three priority areas: climate action, outdoor equity, and the places we love (from National Forests and other public lands to nearby nature like your neighborhood park). The network enables everyone to take a stand—and raise a voice in the movement to protect and share life outdoors.

Let's get things done. Together.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
5 Replies

Focus, members. Recreation. Equipment.

More attention to repair and redistribution. "REDUCE - REUSE"

Increase in membership would be most equitably attained through outreach to less affluent communities. REI Resale stores? REI Urban Outdoors stores? REI Urban Adventures? I've seen alligators in a city park in New Orleans. That was exciting.

I wish REI had half as much grit as I have in my old gear.

Good Effort.

Oooh Urban Adventures sounds like fun and accessible for those that may not have transportation.

I also love your idea of having Resale Stores.  Not only could they resale used gear, but maybe hold workshops on how to repair gear as well.

One of my favorite kayaking trips was from the downtown University of California San Francisco Medical Campus dock to Oracle Park outside of the San Francisco Giants baseball game. I played my ukulele and made it on to TV, knowing that one of the Giants TV announcers loves stringed musical instruments.

Urban, Adventure, Screen Time, Music, Comradeship with other Giants water fans. A good day outside is what REI promotes. Surfing is great in San Francisco. Very Urban.

0 Likes

Other ideas for the Cooperative Action Network, other than writing Congress (which is important), REI could sponsor tree planting, clean ups - both parks and rivers/streams/lakes, wetland reclamation projects, or some other, with members doing the work under the supervision/know-how of either REI staff or someone else located by REI.  I'd also put a tab on the website for the Coop Action like you have for conversations.  Also, put a topic/heading for fighting climate change and or environmental cleanup in the Conversation space.  This is all a way to help people find it and feel involved.  Once they start feeling involved, the will get involved and do more.

@Luv2Kayak love these suggestions!

In case you hadn't seen it, REI and Friends of the Blue Hills just hosted a tree-planting event in the Boston market in celebration of Earth Day last week! And throughout the Bay Area last weekend, we worked with multiple REI grant partners to host neighborhood clean-ups. These are two great examples of the good we can all accomplish when we come together for a common purpose!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes