cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Is there a multi-use helmet for several different outdoor activities?

Would a helmet that uses MIPs  be suitable for climbing, mountaineering, alpine skiing and kayaking. I know there are differences in how sport specific helmets are constructed particularly with respect to number of strikes, impact zone and force dispersion. However it seems like some MIPs helmets (Black Diamond and Mammut) could be more versatile based on their construction. Are there industry standards I can consider when trying to make a selection?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies

I use the same helmet for climbing and mountaineering, but a different one for kayaking and skiing.  Don't try and save a few bucks when your brain and your life is at stake.  I helped rescue one climber whose helmet, crushed by a falling rock, almost certainly saved his life. Kind of paid for itself right there....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

There are some industry standards. Ski and Snowboard Helmets (CE EN 1077A/B) , Mountaineering helmets (EN 12492), Bicycle helmets (CE EN 1078 / CPSC 1203), Class I/IV - WW and Canoeing (CE EN 1385). Some helmets have multiple certifications. For instance the camp speed comp is certified for alpine skiing and climbing (https://skimo.co/camp-speed-comp-helmet).