cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Is Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket Salvageable?

I recently wore my Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket out in the rain and noticed my back was getting wet. When I came inside and inspected my jacket, there were wet spots. I let the jacket dry completely and checked again, and the spots are still there, and what's more, when I hold the jacket up to the light, I can see right through the spots. Has something happened to the membrane? Is my jacket save-able? I've never seen this before. Images attached.image1.jpgimage2.jpg

6 Replies

I would start with some waterproof gear tape on the inside, if that doesn't work you could add it on the outside.  There are also many spray on waterproofing treatments that I think would work for the gear tape (like I said most are supposed to be waterproof, but never tested it on a rain jacket).  Just try and find one that is approved for clothes and not tents.  I have had the same jacket for years and haven't seen the coating wear off like this before.  I don't think only a waterproof treatment would work because it looks like the fabric is pretty much an open mesh at the locations in your picture.  Hope the repair goes well, it shouldn't be very expensive!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

It looks to me as if your jacket's membrane has been damaged, either through abrasion or possibly through heat. I've had similar things happen where the membrane sticks to itself and when you open the jacket it just tears to pieces. I've never found a good explanation, though, since the plastic should be able to withstand some incredibly high temperatures.

I suspect you're wasting your time repairing it, because the same thing is likely to happen in other places.

I'd call Marmot and ask what they think, before I did anything. Who knows, they might replace the thing. Doubtful, but it never hurts to ask.

I'd call Marmot and ask what they think, before I did anything. Who knows, they might replace the thing. Doubtful, but it never hurts to ask.

That would be my first move. My experience with warranties on name brand outdoor gear has varied across the spectrum, from utter shock to absolute delight. It all seems to hinge on whether they consider this to be a defect or normal wear and tear.

Even if the PreCip jacket isn't covered Marmot should be able to tell you what your options are so you can decide if repairs are viable.

See Warranty & Repair for details. But note the rather long wait times.

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Marmot still hasn't gotten back to me. Sigh. Extremely long wait times is correct.

+1 on all the above

- tape it, test it, in the shower

- call the manufacturer for advice

- if you've been wearing it with your backpack on, for a long time, I think it's toast.  Folks will say the pack rubs the waterproofing off and you can just fix it with 'whatever product', but I wish I could report that this is a lasting fix, it wasn't for me and my old companion, my NF mountain light jacket (RIP)

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Funny thing is, I just got back from a trip with my son, and the same thing is happening to his Marmot jacket! I told him to call Marmot and ask about it. It sounds like their coating might not be as durable as it should be.

0 Likes