cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

If not now, when?

I'm always under the false impression that everyone on here, in an REI store, or really anyone anywhere already utilizes the many parks and recreation areas our country has to offer. But in reality, I bet a lot of people haven't taken the plunge on a hobby they do eye up. I do the same thing with certain hobbies and over the pandemic I really pushed myself to try out the things I was too scared of or intimidated by to try (ahem....hunting, making sourdough, pickling, and more). 

What are some things you want to do but haven't given it the go yet? Slept outside in a tent? Backpacking? Kayak rental? I bet there are a ton of people in your local community that would make the jump a lot easier, and maybe all the more worthwhile. 

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
12 Replies

Well, I am one of those peole who makes good use of parks and recration areas, but the pandemic encouraged me to explore trailheads and parks close to home.  I can't believe I never did that before.   It turned out I'd been in a bit of a rut using the same few trails over and over again.  One of my favorite "discoveries" is an urban riparian restoration area that has amazing birds, especially early in the morning.  I'm not really a birder (I have no life list), but when I go there, there are always real birders with big scopes who are more than happy to name the birds and enthuse about the really cool ones they saw. 

How cool is that!? I'm not a birder either, but I could see myself getting caught up in it pretty easily. Keep trail blazing Amy!!!

If I had the time, I would be all about multiday ski-touring or multi-day sledding (snowmobiling) where I can overnight along the way.  I also would want to do some uphill alpine ski travel, but I don't want to waste a day missing all those runs I can get using the lift.

Re: Snowmobiling. I have a cabin up in Michigan and this seems to be pretty common practice, but I still haven't tried it. I know I stayed at a snowmobile camp one or two nights while I was searching for property up there. Where are you based out of? 

In the winter, Missoula, MT.  I do appreciate the XC trails in the upper midwest, but I find myself bored with the alpine and snowmobiling because the terrain is too flat and the snow is too packed for me with those activities.  Guess that makes me a snob 😀, thanks though!  I also agree, most people in the IL-WI-IN region do seem to have a cabin in Michigan (or at least close to it "up north").

0 Likes

Boy, that's gonna be a long list.... I feel like I missed a lot of opportunities in life, but now I have more time, and, being 60, am not too far from retirement if my body holds out. I'd love to hike some longer trails, my longest so far is 157 miles. Kayaking is very interesting to me, we have a lot of places to go, including a state park that used to be strip mines which have all turned into lakes now, and a place that is basically a swamp like a lot of southern IL used to be before they drained it, plus I live very close to the largest man-made lake in IL. Bungee jumping is on my bucket list, as well as ziplining. And skydiving. Whitewater rafting is also something I think I'd love. The list goes on and on LOL

I retired two years ago and the plan was to do more traveling however COVID put a damper on that, we did local things such as hiking, kayaking, camping, and we walk all the time.  This also got me to start planning our epic trip for this next summer, going to Tuktoyaktuk and take a polar plunge in the Arctic Ocean.  In planning for this trip I have done a lot of research on navigation, camping spots, things we want to see along the way, and the gear we will need and want.  We are just now getting ready to buy our first RTT and also have been collecting the gear we will need to get us there.  

Mine would be sky diving 🙂 

Great topic. I'd like to do some longer-distance backpacking trips. So far I've only done overnights, hiking in to a campsite and then out at the end of the trip. I'd love to do a full week through-hike or start section hiking. The other thing I'd love to try is kayaking. My wife and I have talked about taking a basic kayak safety course and then spending some time on the water. And I'd like to do all of those things with my wife and kids.

https://lnt.org/
https://mountainstoseatrail.org/
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html
0 Likes