cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: I would Love to (blank) If It Wasn’t for (blank)

What’s holding you back from that thing you’d love to otherwise do?

I’ll start: I would love to hike Angel’s Landing if it wasn’t for my crippling fear of heights.

(Same for Half Dome)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
9 Replies

Oh! This is a great one, @Dad_Aint_Hip

I would love to do longer endurance ski touring/gravel biking if I could keep my blood sugars from dropping with Type 1 Diabetes. 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-CarterC I can imagine that that is a Herculean task at times. How far/long can you go now?

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

0 Likes

@Dad_Aint_Hip - Pertaining to the crux of dropping blood sugars, for me it is always more about vertical gain than distance itself.

Right now my normal limit without needing to take extended breaks is around 3k' vertical gain on skis and 6k' vertical on a bike, though that is not to say I won't get exhausted before those numbers either!

The obstacle just gives me reason to spend a lot more time nerding-out on the planning section of these ventures, which I love!

'Nother great thread-starter, Dad_Aint_Hip!

For me, I'd like to do more N. Cascades mountaineering if I had someone else to go with me.

@TomIrvine any particular N. Cascades peaks you're most interested in?

Fairly humble aspirations, actually. I have soloed things like Black Peak, Silver Star, and Sahale. If I had some experienced companion(s) I'd like to try Glacier, Robinson - maybe even Baker. (But I'm not fond of crowds.) And I don't mind turning back before the summit if it looks too risky for any reason. I just love being out in alpine landscapes, and glaciers fascinate me. And I know that the Cascades has a lot of hidden gems that might just be accessible to someone like myself.

I would love to dirt bag if it wasn't for finishing college and starting a job afterwards.

My wife and I would move west to Colorado/Utah if it wasn’t for me not having enough engineering experience to get another job. 

I hear ya, @SubaruSteve  My wife and I have talked about moving to the Denver area, too. Her dad and stepmom are there and we’d love to be there