cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How can we help keep the backcountry pristine?

As a native Utahn, I am concerned with the amount of garbage and "marking" someone has "been there" in the back country. Can we all leave and advocate for the back country to be left as pristine and untouched as we found it? - Picking up our garbage, camping 200 feet from lakes and streams, quit stacking rocks, covering fires, etc." In a world that is concerned with the environment, no one cares to know "you've been there".  Leave the world clean and pristine. 

Labels (1)
10 Replies

jisinutah - and fix nuclear war too?

0 Likes

Basically, you are preaching to the choir here.  The trick is to to inform neophytes about proper and safe practices in the outdoors.  Find a group that has such a program and work with them.  REI is one such.....

I know this easier said than done and the effects are not immediately apparent, but this is the way for effective change.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

We use the plastic bags you get at the market and pick up litter everywhere we hike and Overland.

In my scrambles I have found quite a bit of graffiti on boulders.  BLM has given me supplies and permission to remove anything I find.  It sometimes takes a couple of trips carrying a gallon of water and the bio friendly remover and brushes, but it works.

M wife carries grocers bags and picks up recycling and trash every time she goes out. Our local roads have a lot of disbursed camping and it’s pretty gross what she’s pack out.

As a retired teacher, I agree completely with hikermor.  Education works.  Being confrontational doesn’t, even though every fiber in your body wants to.

Super cool! I know what you mean about gross trash, disposable diapers are my fav. Thanks for doing what you do!

0 Likes

So do you clean up efforts.  Graffiti and garbage tend to multiply.  Good on you and your wife!!

0 Likes

Thanks!  We try to lead by example.  And a couple of times we’ve seen other people start to pick up trash after seeing us do it so we know it works. Everyone can at least do something.  Even a little effort makes a difference.  

Although I wholeheartedly agree that education is much better than confrontation; confrontation does work sometimes.  At least in small doses.  Just last week a friend of mine shamed someone into picking up the disposable diaper they had just dropped, by calling them out and letting them know they had been captured "red-handed" (or should I say brown-handed?) on a dash cam.  

On a more sustainable tactic, I am registered with several nearby local land conversation groups, and volunteer on as may clean-up events as I can.  One of which is an ongoing effort to clean up the vast amounts of debris deposited along a water course by a huge flood a few years ago.

It's dirty, messy, hard work, but incredibly gratifying.

This dangerous thread has gone far enough.  You must remember that I am an archaeologist, and that our livelihood depends upon retrieving and studying the discards of groups living in the past.  TRASHFEEDS MY FAMILY! Think of future archies with no trash left to study.  They will be selling pencils on street corners. 

Leave trash alone.  Let it pile to the heavens. The more there is, the more elaborate the studies, and the more obscure the resulting scientific papers.  Learn to love trash and its many benefits!!!

0 Likes