cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Debate! Are you a Sunrise or a Sunset person?

As of the writing of this post if you search 'sunrise' and 'sunset' here in the community the scales tip in favor of 'sunset' by a margin of 32 results to 25. But is that a true representation of the people? Because the question has never been asked directly, let's settle this once and for all (for now, at least):

Which do you prefer: Sunrises or Sunsets?

Bonus points for your best (or favorite) photo that you have taken!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
95 Replies

As a senior citizen, the mornings are best thinking times, that are filled with physical and mental equilibrium.  The pic is sunrise on the Georgia Coast.

DSC_0322.JPG

Sunset, definitely!  (Not a morning person)

I lean towards sunsets being a night owl and living at a Northerly latitude. That said, it’s hard to beat seeing the morning fog burn off in the Boundary Waters. 

8EF3AE08-39CF-4828-8683-BB93D4E5A0DA.jpeg

We get interesting reflections of the sunset here on the east coast. Skidaway Island 

Sunset-Reflection_DSC4781.jpg

I would say they have their back to a moon rise. 

04A649BE-C087-46FF-AFB6-B339048AD4C9.jpeg

Sunset! And is especially magical to watch the sun set into dusk! The stars are glistening! 

0 Likes

557B4F80-3028-45B7-AC69-FD763B720F02.jpeg

Every night sunset over the lake - love it and sometimes you can see a flash of green! 

One of the great things about backpacking is you don't have to choose between the two, you get to be there for both sunset and sunrise and everything in between!  And with a beautiful spot like this one on the Escarpment Trail overlooking Lake of the Clouds in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, Michigan you don't want to miss a minute of either one!

Waiting for sunset over Lake of the Clouds, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganWaiting for sunset over Lake of the Clouds, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganSunset over Lake of the Clouds, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganSunset over Lake of the Clouds, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganStars above the tree tops, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganStars above the tree tops, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganSunrise looking east on the Escarpment Trail, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganSunrise looking east on the Escarpment Trail, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganLake of the Clouds at sunrise, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MichiganLake of the Clouds at sunrise, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, Michigan

Get outdoors, stay safe, and happy trails!
Todd the Hiker

Beautiful...as a Michigander, I barely recognize this AS Michigan! But i haven't lived there since 2003 before I really got into hiking, so....

0 Likes

With the knowledge that a cold beer and good company are around the corner, sunset every time.

0 Likes