cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Debate! Are you a Sunrise or a Sunset person?

As of the writing of this post if you search 'sunrise' and 'sunset' here in the community the scales tip in favor of 'sunset' by a margin of 32 results to 25. But is that a true representation of the people? Because the question has never been asked directly, let's settle this once and for all (for now, at least):

Which do you prefer: Sunrises or Sunsets?

Bonus points for your best (or favorite) photo that you have taken!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
49 Replies

yes

@OldGuyot  Ha! A dark horse third option emerges right from the start!

My thoughts exactly.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

*Apologies for being the guy who is one of the first to respond to his own post*

I was recently motivated by a Jimmy Chin quote: 'I've never regretted seeing a sunrise.' As a night owl I tend to think that I would prefer sunsets, however, I woke up this morning to a sunrise over Mt. Rainier that was truly inspiring (photos below). As I think back over time, I can remember only a handful of sunsets that stand out as particularly noteworthy to me (One was watching sailboats on lake Michigan as the sun set over the water. Shout out to some of our Michigan folks: @bryndsharp, @chip88angel, @Gidonj@HoughtonLikeTheLake@kimsails@Driftwoody). But I rapidly lose track of all the sunrises that I've seen that have lifted my spirits and been truly memorable. As a mountaineer, there is something about the sun rising slowly over the horizon after an alpine start that fills you with such hope and motivation for the climb ahead. There is nothing quite like it. Count this as the first vote for Sunrise!

RainierSunrise1.jpgRainierSunrise2.jpgRainierSunrise3.jpgRainierSunrise4.jpg

Lovely pictures!  I usually never witness the sunrises, haha.  Not an early bird.  I could see how a sunrise is more inspirational though--i.e. starting over, start to a new day, etc.  Sunsets seem to be more admired though.  I'd imagine it's because of the colors that sometimes come with it.  🙂

--
Silvia

Lake Superior sunsets are pretty amazing. I’ve never seen anything as colorful.

I already have a sunset photo posted...

View from Washburn Point, Yosemite in August 2019View from Washburn Point, Yosemite in August 2019

so I guess I should back that up with a sunrise photo...

Desolation Wilderness, CA, August 2020Desolation Wilderness, CA, August 2020

@OldGuyot Those are both great, thanks!

0 Likes

100% agree with you @REI-JohnJ - there is something ethereal and utterly tranquil about sunrises. It's a feeling deep inside that only comes with witnessing the sun transform the world before us as it rises above the horizon...

Yosemite National ParkYosemite National Park

Amanecer boliviano (Bolivian Sunrise)Amanecer boliviano (Bolivian Sunrise)

www.brynsharpphotography.com